Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Third Dress

I have been sewing. These dresses I made took way too much time and were too much work. As usual - I got carried away and made too many mistakes; ripped open too many seams, and pulled the thread out of the needle too many times. I found myself quite frustrated at times. Many interruptions and lots of help that I didn't request (once I caught Anna headed toward her dress with scissors.) My dream of finishing with them in one day proved too lofty a goal for me and instead turned into weeks. Amid all these feelings I am stifling the urge to make a third one. I wish so badly there would be someone to wear it. She would look so cute in it....my mind wanders trying to imagine what she would look like by now - how tall she would be - how she would act. Would her hair still be brown or would they be more reddish by now? How much smaller would her dress be than Marlea's? Marlea always dances and prances around-would Kira dance and prance with her? My mind is cut off by the pain introduced by these thoughts. It feels the pain of reality - the pain of never knowing these things - the pain of it only being imaginations. I turn back to reality and my sewing problems don't seem so big any longer. It really didn't even take that long to make two dresses. I didn't mind picking out those seams; in fact it would have been nice to pick out seams on a third dress. I would have enjoyed entertaining a third little girl while I tried to "sew." I would have liked to solve the fights that would have been my "interruptions" in the other life. The joy of sewing the third dress will remain untouchable - only a dream. The joy that comes from a happy little girl in a new dress will never be mine to experience. But, I will treasure the two that I have to sew...my pain will not steal my joy.

By our door on the wall is the last dress I sewed for Kira. It was the first dress I sewed with my new serger. She was extremely happy with it and Marlea was very jealous. After all Kira was the only one that had a black dress like mommy. She only wore it two or three times...it will remain a treasure to me.

Please pray that we could stay healthy physically - we haven't been. Also intercede that emotionally we can be positive and joyful.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

5 comments:

  1. I'm praying that God's healing hand will be upon you--both physically and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Marylu,

    Sometimes counting our showers of blessings is very difficult amidst the thunder and the rain. I pray you will continue to see those blessings and also I will be praying for your health.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the black dress. You are a good seamstress and a wonderful mommy. I wonder with you what Kira would be like by now. I love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you ... praying for you and your family..
    I want to say something more meaningful..but never know how to say it..
    losing my mom makes me realize how extremely difficult it has to be to lose a child.
    I wish for your days ahead to be healthier and happier..
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry can't say anything

    ReplyDelete