Sunday, April 19, 2009

Reality staring us in the face

Reality - the totality of real things and events. Reality is a part of our lives. The gift of shock is leaving and true life is setting in. Reality is my companion all day. Sometimes I meet it around the corner; sometimes it stares at me from an empty car seat. Or the absence of a little girl to put in the grocery cart. Reality lets me sleep, but awakes me in the morning with the feeling of a brick hitting my stomach. As a result, I find myself waking up with clenched fists, a tired heart, and knots wove around my stomach. Today it visited me in the form of hearing a three year old girl spot her daddy in church. She said "There's da-da". I turned around expecting to see Kira but alas, I was met with a dose of reality instead. Reality met me after church as I visited her grave. The stark reality of her lifeless shell, the shell that I loved and cherished, being six feet under-untouchable to my mother hands. Tonight it greeted me as I ate cinnamon rolls that had been in the freezer, the last ones I made while Kira was here. Sometimes it comes in the form as small as a sock that fit her foot. A sock she had wistfully picked out at Bass Outlet last winter with crazy penquins hugging all over it. Sometimes in a tiny clip that kept many fine hairs off her face. I grab it and stick it in my own hair, wanting to take with me something that was her's. Sometimes it comes at me when I hear Marlea say: "Daddy, hold me" - favorite words of the one I miss. Last night reality was my companion as I rocked Anna. Reality met me in memories of rocking Kira to sleep singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" softly at bedtime. Reality to me last week and probably for a while will not be kind to me. Sometimes it comes in the form of the awfulness of seeing my child slipping away in front of me with what you and I would think were flu-like symptoms. It cuts like a knife; doctors say her sickness was inevitable, but the terror is still there, the reality of the experience. I want to run, but if I would it would be there too. I cry, I pray, I trust but reality is still here. And so, I stare at it head-on. I dare it to destroy me, to fill my life with pain forever. I dare it to kill my desire to live. I dare it to make me dwell in the past for the next fifty years. When I am finished daring it, I embrace it because it is real. Because therein I find a peace that only my Heavenly Father can give me. A peace that will help me live out of who He wants me to be and not who I think I should be or what my family should be. A peace that comes from knowing that it will be okay eventually because God can bring beauty out of our ashes and rags. A peace that comes from experiencing His grace in a tangible way. Because of the amounts of grace we have experienced, we are convinced that God's other attributes are awesome as well- mercy, truth, faithfulness, love, peace. They must be flowing in abundance! To claim them as part of our lives means we are not able to live on our own...we need God-we are small and needy.

Merlin's birthday is tomorrow. A another first for us without Kira. Then yet his birthday. Please pray that we will claim God's grace for us - especially tomorrow. The girls usually helped me make the cake and we made a party out of it. Tomorrow it will be only Marlea and I and we will have fun anyway. The last cake we decorated was Kira's and we really enjoyed it! Pray that our daddy will feel God's love for us on his birthday.

A few months ago I asked Kira how she knows I love her. She replied without hesitation: "Because you give me kisses". I had asked Marlea the same question at around the same age and she replied without hesitation: "Because you read me books". Love the children God has entrusted into your care. Give them kisses if that is what they want. Be Jesus to your children...I wish too but He holds mine tonight. Every night I whisper in my tears: "Jesus, please go get Kira and give her kisses for me". I trust Him and so I believe He does.

As always, thanks so much for all the prayers, love, and care we feel in so many ways.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

16 comments:

  1. Wishing Merlin a Happy Birthday, it will be hard, but know Kira is with her daddy & family on this day.

    Traci Ceras ~NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn, Sanford, NCApril 20, 2009 at 7:44 AM

    Merlin, may you have a blessed birthday today. And know you are and will continue to be in our hearts and prayers. What a gift your family is to our family. Love in Jesus Christ, Evelyn & Mike Watson NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend...once again my arms are around you. My love - Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Merlin! I'm sure this will be one you'll remember for a long time! I bet God gives Kira glimpses of you and your party and I bet she's partying for you in Heaven too!! May you all feel God's arms around you in a real way!! ---Devon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Marylou,
    I am in the middle of reading a book called "The Shack". It was recommended to me by a dear friend, who reinforces my beliefs, when I am troubled and questioning God.
    I have felt so differently after reading this book. Not sure if you would benefit from it, but it has made me feel much better, and the thoughts stay with me.
    I have 3 little grandaughters, and I so thoroughly enjoy them. Especially as I am realizing how quickly life passes and each day with them is a blessing!!
    May Merlin have a wonderful birthday today, and I pray that each day becomes lighter.
    God Bless you all,
    Love, Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merlin,
    I can't imagine the emotions that you may feel today. I'm sure there will be many. I pray that you will manage to have a happy birthday. I think it will mean a lot to Marlea knowing that she was able to make your special day a very good one. Kira is with you today and always. We enjoyed our time with you and hope to see you again soon. We wish you a very happy birthday. Love also to MaryLu, Marlea and Anna. All our love, Jeff & Debbie (& Kyra)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merlin, I am sorry I missed your birthday. Happy birthday, a little late. I am so, so sorry for your reality. I have no words. I love you all.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Marylu....We are praying and I find the LORD calling me to pray for you so many times throughout the day and the night. Sometimes HE will awaken me in the deepest part of the night and have me wrap you in prayer. I wish that we lived closer to you, it will be good to be able to hug you in October. Reality can be harsh and there are no earthly words to express my heartfelt ache for you as "Mom". I cannot say that I know what you feel, or that I know your pain - but I am standing with you on the Word of GOD that speaks of HIS Peace that passes understanding. I read your posts throughout these weeks and I weep with you, and am so thankful that I took the time to play with Kira and Marlea on the harp instrument that I had brought with me last October. I am so thankful that I had the privilege of spending some sweet, precious time with your beautiful girls.
    I will continue to hold you all in prayer...I pray that Merlin's Birthday was beautiful and full of the love that you all give so well.
    Love you, Lisah (Alquist)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for continuing to share your heart. You're still in our hearts and prayers. May you have peace beyond comprehsion in the midst of this awful pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still praying for you all. Thank you for writing and letting us know how you are.

    Debbie and Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for continuing to journal your thoughts and feelings on this page. Reality is tough, but it grabs our hands and drags us forward. Please know that Robin and I think of you and pray for you daily. Hugs to all of you (especially our little friend, Marlea).

    Robin and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read your last three posts
    today, and caught up on your heart
    pouring out through your writings.

    From your description of Kira's
    life it's evident that she was
    a happy, energetic, loving, fun
    and beautiful little girl. One
    can tell just from reading what
    you wrote that she brought much
    joy to your life and to others.
    Continue to cherish the wonderful
    memories, Kira will always live
    on in your hearts and minds.

    I am always deeply affected by
    your writings, I feel sadness,
    pain, sorrow, empathy, and then
    I feel hope, peace and joy in
    knowing that one day you will
    be reunited with your Kira,
    and that she is safe with
    her Heavenly Father!

    Until that day, live, love
    and laugh with your loved
    ones and friends as you
    honor Kira with remembering
    how vital and special she
    was in the lives of all who
    loved (and still love) her.

    I continue to hold you,
    Merlin, Marlea and Anna
    up in prayer Marylu!

    Lisa Ann DiNunzio
    New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merlin and Mary Lou your homesickness will never leave, but be assured God will heal your broken heart. I am sure he is holding you underneath his everlasting arms and loves you with his everlasting love. Mary N.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marylu, your writings are so touching and spiritual. We can see your trust in the Almighty to cradle you and Merlin and your little ones in His loving arms. We pray for you everyday and think of you many times each day. Please give the children hugs for us. Love to all, Spurge and Lillie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep On
    I know it is not what you expected or planned for:
    But it is something I understand. I am walking through this with you and I am with you now.
    I know there are times when you are lonely, but remember that you are never alone.
    I know there are things that cause you worry and anxiety, but I want you to know that I have promised to provide for you and meet your needs.

    I want you to trust me. I will be a Father to you,
    and you will never go anywhere that is outside the covering of My love.
    I want you to trust Me with your future
    I will do what is good and what is best.

    When things are shaking I will keep you steady ….
    When things are hurting I will heal the pain …
    When things are uncertain I will be your guide …
    When things are unclear I will be your wisdom …
    When things are overwhelming I will be your strength …
    When things are dark I will be your light …
    When things are hectic I will be your rest.

    It brings Me great pleasure to know
    your heart is trusting in Me.
    Keep on in My strength,
    keep on in My joy,
    keep on in My peace,
    keep on in My love.

    (Author unknown, was changed)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merlin and Mary Lou...we just want you to know that we are praying for you...God is here for you to provide the grace when those moments of homesickness creep up on you when you least expect them. Sometimes it is just a comment you hear, something you see, or something you wish could have been...and the tears come again. It's OK..He cares!!! He will ALWAYS be there to carry you through! -Jon and Lill

    ReplyDelete