Sunday, April 26, 2009

Free-the way we are made to live

When God created the world He created us to be free. Free to experience life in perfection. Free to dance, run, and dream. Free to reach out and touch a lion, pet a tiger, chase a bear. Freedom from distractions that now plague us. Utimately to be free from death and sickness.

The woman changed all that with one move, the wrong move. Because of that we experience things like death and sickness. Man's freedom was gone forever. And in it's place is only a longing to be free and wild. Oh to run and never have to return to any care! In that moment, the first woman experienced for the first time something all women strongly dislike: change. We hate it, we go around it, under it, over it, but it always comes back and we hesitantly adjust to it.

Out of that also God comes to our rescue with the atoning death of His Son. Once again man can experience freedom and life everlasting. No change, Jesus is always the same. He always beckons us to come. Doesn't matter how ugly we feel, how righteous we might think we are, how lost we become until we get there. He even goes as far as to blot out our sins forever with his blood, if we believe in Him.

Today in my life I feel this verse: "And you will know the truth, and the truth shall make you free". John 8:38 I always thought this verse meant the Bible - which I know it still does. But, today I realize that I know the truth. The truth is that Kira died. The truth also is that God has cared for me so well and that He is taking care of her in heaven. He is and has been so real to me, He has brought truth to me, He has worked through the people around me, He showed me Himself without me dying. I know the truth...in that I will find freedom. I will not be forever like this, I know the truth...the truth sets me free. I embrace what happened, but I know the truth...Kira was a gift. I even trust God to bless us, I know the truth...He has, is, and will in the future. It might not always be in the way we want it to be. In this I remember the prayer I prayed aloud over and over sobbing by Kira's bedside "God I want her to be happy. She was too joyful and free to suffer. God, if she would be happier in heaven, please take her there. I love her too much to watch her suffer here. But, God if she will be okay and happy here, please heal her". God answered my prayer...

The struggle is great. Satan would have us to not embrace the truth. He does not want us to experience freedom. He tries to make it seem like life will never be joyful again, that we will live with a cloud, that the cloud will follow us wherever we go. He wants us to believe that God will not ever bless us in any way. He wants us to be too scared to trust in a loving and faithful God. But, God always wins because Satan can't offer freedom! His way is full of lies and bondage-not freedom and truth. Please pray that we will continue to know the truth, embrace it, and speak it.

Merlin got his test results back this week. He still has CMV (cytomegalovirus) which is similar to mono. He had it five years ago and apparently it never left, just comes back to haunt him when he gets under stress. That explains the last two months and the last five years to us. The good part is that now that we actually know, we can try to work against it, according to the doctor. Praise God with us for that. Also pray that through his sickness too, we would trust God. Such a simple step and yet can seem so huge to us.

Thanks to all of you who have encouraged us with cards. Marlea especially loves getting cards with her name on. Please continue to pray for her, reality has set in for her as well. She is so lonely for Kira. The warm weather beckons her but it also brings back lots of memories and makes the longing intense. It comes out in lots of ways for a five year old. Pray for us too that we would have wisdom in guiding her. It wrenches our hearts.

Today I think of Kira's thing of declaring me in jail as I referred to in her memory blog two weeks ago. "Mommy is in jail, this WHOLE house jail". Yes, life in the house can be like jail, but there is a beautiful creation awaiting me outside and I am so glad it is spring. I smile when I think of that, she was so crazy sometimes.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

11 comments:

  1. What beautiful words written from your heart. God is faithful and you are free....You are such an inspiration through this blog as well as helping others to examine their hearts. Spring is here...Rejoice!!! We hope to get down to stay sometime this year. God bless and we will continue to pray for you and your family for peace. We will continue to lift up Merlin in prayer for his sickness. Jesus is the healer.

    Love,
    Jamie & Bryan Zeigler
    Carlisle, PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. your honesty and strong faith in God and his goodness has been such a blessing to us! we will continue to pray for you in every circumstance that you face each day.

    jonathan and sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are continually in our hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pain...the ever-present compianion of learning to live w/ a difficult change. It shows itself in the snatch of a song, a flash of memory, an empty room...But somehow, God redeems the ashes of pain & turns it into beauty! My love - Esther

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words are inspiring and beautiful.

    Again, Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your heart and seeing God through you.

    It had provided us with an opportunity to look into our own souls and learn to truly appreciate God's goodness and faithfulness through sorrows and joy.
    He is so faithful and He will mightly bless you through this "ministry of love" which you are graciously sharing. The Holy Spirit has given you an amazing gift to touch souls and bring them back to Him.

    You are in our prayers for Merlin's complete healing, and for comfort and peace for all of you.
    Love,
    Lee & John Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description of freedom was so well worded. I can see you are healing, alive and well on the way God has intented and or planned for you in your grief journey. I am glad Merlin has an answer to his illness, I believe he will be on his way of healing now. I am praying for you all. Love, Mary N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought about you today, saw a little girl in a magazine that reminded me of Kira. It made me sad again, just missing her.
    love to you, Lyd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merlin and Marylou,

    Just to let you know we think of you and pray for you all continually. We know He will turn you ashes into beauty.

    Charlie and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Marylou, you once again have inspired me. I just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed our chat the other sat. I walked away with tears in my eyes and a hurt in my heart for you and your family but I was so challenged and encouraged by you...the way you are trusting God, the way you are living out your faith, even in the midst of such a hard time, the love you have for the babies you still have with you, the love you shared that you had/have for Kira. You really are a living example right now, Marylou. Thanks for continuing to share your journey. I am reminded to pray for you and your family every time I see an update. God bless you this week!
    Rosa Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marylu, We are continuing to pray for you daily. We hope to get up to see you sometime soon. Please give the little ones a hug for us. We love you, Spurge and Lillie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  11. mary lou
    beautiful once again. when it feels like i need to be encouraging you, it seems you encourage me instead. much love and continual prayers

    susan

    ReplyDelete