Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Last Purchase

Gravestones-I dislike them. I don't want to purchase one, I don't want to look at them, I don't even want to talk about what to put on it. I would like to avoid the subject. Can't the grave have just a little marker? Actually if the marker would be removed, that would be fine - I will just pretend that Kira's death never happened. Grass can grow and cover the plot and no one will ever know in a hundred years the sad story of our little sweetsy-tweetsy. I just don't want to admit that we need to buy one for Kira. I can't bear reading her tombstone. How can her life be portrayed accurately on a tombstone? How can I go to the graveyard and read "Kira Mary Yutzy" on one of those cold, barren pieces of stone? How can it be that this child who made me lose my brown hair be the same child for which we buy a gravestone? Just eight months ago I could never sit here and type on a computer. I would have had too much help. Just eight months ago that body that is now under the sod in the graveyard was here bouncing around on the office counter. Just eight months ago I was a normal person. Now it feels like making the last purchase for our little girl will change me even more. To admit she needs a gravestone is to admit she died and isn't here on this earth anymore. Only her legacy, her stories, and her pictures. To make the last purchase is tempting me... I can hear the stone being put on the ground with a thud. It tempts me to put a stone on my feelings with a thud. But I can't, and I won't. I can't deny what has happened - reality. I can't deny God and his faithfulness to me, to us. I will try to be brave and help Merlin make good choices regarding the last purchase.

Often when I tried to answer the phone here in the office, Kira would come along and climb up onto the counter. At the most inopportune times she would scream or loudly talk. Her favorite thing to do was to plant herself right in front of the computer screen. Therefore, I had to look at her and laugh instead of typing the reservation information. It was a great way to get my attention and way too funny for me. How much more obvious as a child do you have to make your wishes known that you would prefer the attention be on yourself? I would be irritated sometimes but much more often I would laugh and lunge for her - which is exactly what she wanted.

Please continue to pray for us. In some ways the situation seems more awkward to relate to than it did seven months ago. It's hard to explain how the pain keeps on affecting us. Pray that we would be able to parent our children effectively still in the midst of our pain and theirs. Thanks so much!

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

6 comments:

  1. Dear friend, know w/out doubt you are in my prayers...this valley of pain is often lonely...a place that only God really understands...we feel lost & broken...a place here we pick up the broken pieces and somehow that becomes our life. God WILL exalt Himself in all of this! Hugs...Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylu,
    I feel refreshed as I watch how God is working in your lives. There is definately a good progression going on, and you are allowing God to do His work in you. When you feel you are not progessing at all in your journey of pain, remember that Satan wants you to feel you are getting nowhere. But the wonderful truth, is that you are moving along, I feel, just as God wants you to move. May you be comforted by knowing that each move you make, you are surronded in God's arms. He really does love you!
    All my love, Gina Stoltzfoos ( Dave )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marylu & Family,
    I continue to pray for you all. The most powerful action which I can take. Cannot pretend to know your pain. My heart still aches for you. The peace I find is in your rest in Jesus.
    God Bless you all.
    Love & Prayers,
    Lorraine V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears come to my eyes for you! I love you and feel your pain. Oh, the coldness and stillness of death. I'd love to help you erase this pain, but since I can't I'm here to tell you that I care and He does too. Praying for you and your family.

    Will I see you at the PCH reunion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I thot of you making that last purchase for your little girl. Whenever I think of you missing Kira so much, I think of my own precious girlies and only imagine how it must hurt! You're in our prayers! Love you, Marian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of the song "It will be worth it all when we see Jesus" I was rereading some of your posts from early when Kira got sick. How painful. For some reason God allowed it. Why. I am sure there are more than a million reasons. But still oh so hurtfull. I am praying for you Marylou. I feel the same about the grave stone. We have not gotten a grave stone for Joel our baby we lost at 5 1/2 months. I don't even visit the grave. I am sure that it is very different for you with Kira but for me Joel is not there, he is in Heaven. Debbie

    ReplyDelete