Monday, November 16, 2009

Baggage

We were on vacation in El Salvador for the past two weeks; as we were preparing to go I searched to find the suitcases. I looked at them and just stared. There was just no way I could pack; no way I could pack up with my feelings. They were not going to fit. I searched vainly for a compartment big enough to contain them. I thought of several different pieces of luggage, and oddly enough they seemed too small. As I started putting things in the largest suitcase, I had no room for my baggage. What was I going to do with it? It seemed so heavy and enormous. Merlin packed the rest of the suitcases and no room was left. The next morning we put our luggage in my brother's vehicle and drove for the airport. As we drove along I felt confused. My baggage was coming along and yet is wasn't packed. Later as we walked down the terminal to the board the plane I felt it following me. I didn't have that free feeling one expects to have when going on vacation. The thoughts and feelings were following close behind me. I found myself wondering how what I was thinking was going to fit onto the plane. The plane taxied down the runway and yes, it was still with me. But the plane wasn't big enough. I sighed in relief, glad I hadn't tried to pack the mental baggage-realizing I would never have been able to stuff everything into a suitcase or any piece of something. Even if I had tried - the airplane could never have contained it all. I sighed again feeling overwhelmed with the thought that my baggage is too big to fit into an airplane. Ironically it followed me even though it didn't fit. My mind turned in consolation to Jesus and His promise to me in Matthew 11:28-30: "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me: for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Yes, my baggage followed me but God's promise is stronger in my heart than my baggage.

Kira loved suitcases. To her they meant upcoming adventures. When she was smaller she used to love climbing into and out of luggage. She didn't care whether or not things were in the bags. As she grew she realized she could pack her clothes in to go away. Marlea had her own red suitcase and usually shared with Kira. Kira would carefully put in lots of things. I always went through their suitcase and put numerous things back in her drawer where they belonged. She was always so pleased with herself for packing. Last Christmas Kira got her own suitcase. It was brown with polka dots. This was very important - to her it meant she was getting older, like Marlea. A few days later we went to Ohio over New Year's Day. She proudly stuffed many items into it as we packed. She was so happy to have her own she shone from ear to ear. Marlea's suitcase is red, Kira's was polka dot with a ribbon on and she knew Marlea was secretly jealous of it. Her suitcase has gone with us on every trip we have taken since February. Instead of Kira wheeling it, Marlea does. It's a touch of Kira we take along. Marlea used it for her carry-on on our trip. Tears came to my eyes as I watched her with it. Many questions, wishes, and pain went through my heart.

We were able to relax and enjoy our vacation. It felt good to come back to Kira's pictures and memories. I hadn't been in El Salvador since we are married and it was Merlin's first time there. We enjoyed a new place, new memories, and new people. We can't speak Spanish so that meant limited conversation, which was good for both of us. Most of all, we enjoyed spending time with my parents who are there as missionaries for four months.

I thought maybe if I don't write for three weeks you will just forget about us... I am blessed to know (and see on the site meter) that you haven't. I thank God for each one of you that prays and cares for us! I am dealing with adrenal fatigue, and ask for your prayers especially that I can regain strength and live accordingly.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

7 comments:

  1. Welcome home, baggage and all. We love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN BECAUSE YOU WERE AWAY . I WAS REALLY WORRIED THAT YOU OR MERLIN WERE NOT DOING WELL. I HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD VACATION AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR WRITINGS. I CHECKED ALMOST DAILY FOR A POST AND WAS VERY HAPPY TO SEE ONE THIS MORNING. WE ARE ALWAYS THINKING OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very happy you are all ok..
    I was in your area a couple of weekends ago and stopped in to say hi..but altho there were guests, i didn't see anyone around and the door was locked. I was alittle concerned, and glad to see your post :)
    Linda Devlin ( a guest of the Inn)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marylu:

    Welcome home! We knew that you would be away to ne with your parents for awhile.
    You will not be forgotten. You have been in my prayers. We all are praying that you will continue to release the pain & longings into God's loving hands.
    I will continue to pray that you will regain your strength, but Oh My! Do you ever have a spiritual strength, which is awesome.
    Thanks so much for continuing your inspiring reflections.
    Love,
    Lee T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaryLu, Merlin Marlea & Anna,
    So glad you had a great trip. We missed seeing you while we were at the inn. We had a wonderful time as usual, but it really wasn't the same without all of you there. Hope to see you soon. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
    Lots of love to all of you,
    Jeff & Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are glad you enjoyed your vacation with it's new set of memories.Serena especially is glad you are back,she missed Marlea at school very much!God bless you as you continue your journey.Love Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that you were away and that nothing was wrong. Was concerned when you hadn't posted. Continue to pray for you. Hoping to see you in April or May.
    Beth Johnson

    ReplyDelete