Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Memories of Kira's funeral

This is Wednesday, March 4. It's hard to believe that it is a week ago already that Kira passed on to be with Jesus. We thank all of you from the bottom of our hearts for your love, support, and prayers. Why this all had to happen we will never fully understand in our human minds. But, we do know that God is a big God and knows and understands us beyond our comprehension. The call to trust Him even in the darkest hour of our lives still is so real to us. Now that everything is over...I ask Him why and He whispers "Trust Me." I want to run, but He draws me gently back to Himself and I go willingly. I wish I could describe in words how it feels to give a child back to God that was given to you. The joy I felt as I held her in my arms, the joy that came from knowing that I loved this child well, with no regrets. It was a gift I sent along back with her to heaven. The glory of God in that room was too much for my human body, I covered my face in my hands and cried out to God. His glory was so great I wanted to hide like Moses did. In all my wanderings and confusion, one thing that is so real to me that I will never forget and that is that I know that God is real!

For those of you that weren't able to come to the funeral. We are so grateful for the beautiful music before and during the service. Three of our close friends shared their hearts thru song. It was so healing to listen to the words of Jesus thru them. This Little Light of Mine was so special, it's Marlea's favorite and her and Kira couldn't wait til it came on on Oasis latest Cd. My father, John Glick had the Devotional Meditation. Kira was special to him, he had a very calming effect on her life. Jason Smoker shared a message with us that was very touching. He is known as the Smartie Man at church because he gives Smarties to the children after church. He was very important to Kira. Thanks so much Jason, for your words of Life!

Merlin wrote this poem for Kira and shared it at the funeral.

A Tribute to Kira-by her daddy

God sends His love to us
In many ways its shown
Three years ago it was a girl
As Kira she was known

It was not long until we knew
We had a special child
Kira quickly grew and really soon
She was on her feet, running wild

Soon after that she learned quite well
Dad's time was spent across the street
And any chance she had she'd try
To catch up to her daddy's feet

Kira's fingers found a way
To cinch her daddy's heart
And though one tenth his age
As friends like this, how can we part?

Her cherub smile and winsome gaze
Found ways into many a heart
Though she'll not come back, we know
Memories of Kira will not depart

Then stumbling through a maze of confusion
We seek to claim God's healing grace
In life, we'll find enough to go on
In heaven, doubts flee when seeing His face!

So briefly lay down your cares and remember
God's time is not your own, you see
Give loved ones a hug or tender kiss
Doing so will continue the legacy of Kiki


Kira's favorite song was Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. I never understood why it had to be this one. It put her to sleep many a night when she was wound tight. Many nights when she was a baby and up for hours at a time I sang this song over and over to her. If I tried to sing another one she would slap my face. I sang it at her bedside in the hospital and I promised her I would sing it at the funeral. Here are the words for those of you that might not know the song.

Chorus:
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, coming forth to carry me home, swing low, sweet chariot, coming forth to carry me home.

Verse:
I looked over Jordan and what did I see, coming forth to carry me home, a band of angels coming after me, coming forth to carry me home

Swing Low, Sweet Kira-oh, coming forth to carry me home, swing low, sweet Kira-oh, coming forth to carry me home.

Verse:
If you get there before I do, coming forth to carry me home, just tell my friends that I am coming there too, coming forth to carry me home.
Second Chorus
On Tuesday evening I added another chorus that came straight out of my heart because while I was singing it, this is exactly what was happening.

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, coming forth to carry her home, swing low, sweet chariot, coming forth to carry her home.

We also read Curious George and the Holidays, one of Kira's favorite stories. One thing always happens in those stories, the man with the yellow hat always comes at the right time, just like Jesus.

She loved Hershey kisses, flowers, and bubbles. Except her bubbles most times ended up on the ground. At the gravesite we threw hershey kisses, daisy's and the kids blew bubbles. It was therapy for Merlin and I to watch the children deal with grief in the kind of way that she would have.

Kira's last Sunday School craft was the picture of hands folded in prayer. In the middle her teacher had pasted sticky notes. She had tried to write her name on it. At the bottom is the verse from Matthew 26:39 "Not as I will, but as Thou wilt."

I say all these things, but one thing remains the same. That is that I know God is real because He gave me a taste of what heaven is like and I am not going to miss it.

Because of Jesus,
Marylu, Merlin, Marlea, and Anna

I will probably post again sometime in the next weeks

26 comments:

  1. Dear Merlin & MaryLu;
    Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful testimony.
    We were. regretfully, not able to attend what must have been an awesome celebration of Kira's life. We were with you in prayers and thoughts. We so appreciate your amazing ability to communicate God's love and your absolute trust in Him through indescribeable circumstances.
    You have blessed & touched so many lives with your expressions of faith & love.
    God bless all of you & may your sweet angel be forever joyful with Jesus in heaven.
    Love,
    John & Lee Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your love and faith in Jesus Christ in the midst of this has been an awesome witness to every one that loved Kira. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your family. We continue to keep each of you in our prayers. Love, Evelyn and Mike Watson Sanford N.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, my dear sister. I have tears...
    I love you so much, Renita

    ReplyDelete
  4. The keyboard is wet right now. THANK YOU for sharing GOD love you ALL
    I am forwarding your message to my brother Fr. Ed a Catholic priest Passionist missionary stationed in pittsburgh , Pa..

    Prayers Peggy Connelly\

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you, sister -- you are a picture of the grace of God! I love you!

    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears in my eyes once again. Swing Low Sweet Chariot touched me so much when you sang it at the funeral. It is one that I sing to my little Priya, but now I'll always think of you when I sing it. Praying for you many many times throughout these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing about your celebration of Kira's life. What a wonderful testimony of your complete faith, hope and trust in your Savior. We wish we could have been there with you physically, but we were with you in our thoughts and prayers. God blessed you with such a beautiful little girl that touched many lives. Interesting that her favorite song was "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." Her home is truly in heaven, and someday you will be with her again. I would have loved to hear you sing it. Merlin's poem is absolutely precious...such a tribute to Kira's life.

    God bless you,
    Tim and Laura Dolan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your heart. What beautiful memories to hold in your hearts. Nancy Lapp

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing! Your desire to trust God and knowing that HE is real through all of this has been an inspiration to me. God is doing wonderful things.
    Still praying for you all...
    -Krista Kauffman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marylu,
    My heart still goes out to you. As a mother myself i cannot imagine the pain you are going through. I feel so sad for you but your belief in god is going to get you through this awful time. I will still be praying for you, Merlin and your beautiful girls, Marlea and Anna as well as Kira.
    Love
    The Nickels (Donna, Danny, Megan and Matthew)

    ReplyDelete
  11. God's grace is sufficient and His mercy endures forever, one day at a time sweet friends, one day at a time. Praying for comfort that only your Savior can give....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your testimony in the midst of this deep grief brings tears to my eyes. God is definately using you as a channel to expand his kingdom. May you continue to feel His arms of love wrapped tight around you. With Love, Marv and Rachel Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your love and your faith through your little one, Kira..
    I can't imagine a pain greater than what you are experiencing.
    Although we are merely acquaintances by being guests of your beautiful Inn, there seems to be something drawing me to your blog. My husband and I, by chance found your Inn in November while shopping at the shoppes across the street. My dad is an acquaintance of your dad.
    You and I only spoke briefly when booking the dates for us to stay in Feb.
    While we were checking in, you and I spoke about your children, and I,my grandchildren..
    Your Anna was born same day of our little 1 lb 10 oz premie grandaughter. Her name is Keira.. You told me your 3 yr old's name was Kira.. We call our Keira, KiKi...
    so many coincidences..
    My friend says "there are no coincidences.. it is all God's plan.." and I believe she is right..
    If I am only here to pray for your family and let you know how you are in our hearts, than that is what God had for me to do.
    You will one day see Kira waiting for each of you at heaven's door.
    God Bless,
    Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  14. My prayer sisters are still asking about your family and upholding you in prayer, as we are. As God told Isaiah, "See! I will not forget you. I have carved you on the palm of my hand." That verse has carried us through life's hardships. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marylu and Merlin, we were priviledged to have been at the funeral. It was wonderful and sad - like one of the pastors said - a mixture of tears and laughter. I closed my eyes at one point during the congregational singing and thot- ah, it sounds like we are in heaven! It was so moving! We really were so glad we were able to be there. To hear Merlin's poem. To hear Marylu sing! It was only thru God that you were able to do so - with such power! You might never know the whys of this sadness on this earth but all shall be revealed, someday.
    We were unable to stay for the burial and luncheon - we were sorry to have missed that. Thanks so much for sharing about the hershey kisses and the bubbles! Wow!
    Our love and prayers be with you and yours.
    Judy & Tom Keenan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have been touched by your testimony in the midst of your grief and suffering. I am so inspired and challenged by your response to this trial. You are a beautiful picture of a person surrending to God even in extreme difficult circumstances an dbeing able to praise Him in the midst of it! May God continue to carry you through the coming days! You are in our thoughts and prayers continually! Sari Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the updates. We are continuing to pray.

    With much love,
    Charlie and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think of you guys often and keep you in our prayers! I am so amazed at the very evident grace that God has poured out to you at this VERY difficult time!! You are such an encouragement with your honesty and realness of your faith thru such immense pain. God Bless and Keep you! ---Devon Petersheim

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bless you for sharing your faith in Jesus and the way you're learning to trust Him. Reminds me to trust him in my own situation, which, while not like giving up a child, is still one that requires trust. Still praying for you as you walk the journey.
    Sarah Sauder

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing. Our hearts, prayers and tears are still with you and we will continue to lift you up before Jesus. Rest tight in His arms and unfailing love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful thing, to be able to look beyond your grief and see Jesus and his workings in your lives. I am sure that Kira and her passing will touch many, in ways we cannot comprehend or understand. Your family will remain in our thoughts and prayers.

    Sharon and Rachel Wilbers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Merlin and Marylu, Marlea and Anna, you are continually in our prayers. We were privileged to be with you for the viewing and funeral. We pray that our God will give you the comfort that only He can give and that He will hold you gently as you morn the loss of this precious child. We love you and hold you up in prayer. Love in Christ, Spurge and Lillie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey i just wanted to share this with you.i dont know if you remember but we took our 4yr. old daughter,jocie with us to the viewing.on the way home she kept saying mom that little girl is not in heaven she cant stay at the church she needs to come to my house she,s my friend i want to show my kitties.anyway the other nite we put her to bed and she was drawing a pic.i said hey is that for me, she said no its for the little girl,she is going to sleep with me in heaven and we;re going to sleep in jesus bedroom. remembering you in our prayers. manny&suz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Merlin, Marylu, Marlea and Anna,

    My heart was sooo heavy when I received the sad news regarding Kira.

    I could see her spinning on the chair in the office and skipping through the dinning room.

    Please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers in this time of sorrow.

    May the Grace and Peace of God be with you during this difficult time.

    Luci McElhenny (the baby sister)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought of you all today and am prayed that the peace and presence of Jesus would be very real to you.

    I can't very well put into words what hearing your journey has done for me... Know that you've drawn me to the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Friends,
    Your words let my heart feel God and His powerful love to us....His children. "Except you become as little children...." What an example Kira was of that picture even if I didn't know her.
    My heart grieves and soars with you,
    Esther (and Andy)

    ReplyDelete