Saturday, March 28, 2009

To love a child

When a mother gives birth to a child, there is a part of her that is never the same again. One chooses to love, to care for this child that God has given. Love is a dare. Dare to love well and unconditional. Dare to love even when it will hurt. Dare to love even though life is unpredictable. Dare to love when it could be taken away. Dare to love when you have no true idea of how this child will be. Dare to love even when the cute baby stage is over. Dare to promise to love forever! When Kira was born, Merlin held her first and I thought they were never going to get finished talking to each other. I watched in amazement as they bonded. They understood each other after that like only a father and daughter can. This was the second girl for Merlin, and he now was comfortable being a father. Together we loved her, cared for her, and met her needs. She was sweet, innocent, and joyful. Marlea and I sang "You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray...." She was, she brought us sunshine. Only last week did I realize that her name actually meant a form of the sun. The one thing Merlin and I both keep coming back to time and time again is how we loved her so well. She wasn't an easy child, she was so energetic and lots of times drove our nerves over the edge. But she was Kira, she was ours - we loved her. All this to say this week we were contemplating all this. In the hospital, as I held her and gave her back to Jesus on February 24, I was able to say with all my heart: "God - here is Kira, I give her back to You. Thanks for letting me love her and care for her. You enabled me to love her well. I learned a lot from her in her birth, her life, and now her death. I give now give her back to you, well loved." I think of this so often, and the miracle of having no regrets in loving her. Only this week did it dawn on us that if it is this hard for us to give our child back to God, how hard it must really be for God to have given her to us. I knew when I gave Kira back to Him that He will care for her needs to the utmost. He knew I couldn't be perfect, and yet He gave her to us anyway! I feel so honored to be trusted by a God who is perfect!

This week was extremely hard for us. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. Tuesday Merlin was sick and we ended up in the ER at LGH for a couple hours. They gave him fluids, pain med, and oxygen and discharged him, for which we were thankful. We were not into a hospital stay! We spent the next two hours at Merlin's doctor. We were so thankful for his input. He apparently had a blocked stomach. He has been getting better although is still not back to normal. Whatever normal is! It's hard to be okay with one's emotional state when there is physical pain also. His stomach is better but yet he isn't better. This time of the year is always bad for him so it's hard to know what the problem really is. Marlea wasn't feeling the best again and I spent Wednesday on the couch too. Marlea and Anna have been up some at night. I am lacking sleep.

It was really hard for us to be back in at LGH again. The good thing is that one of the nurses that took care or Kira came and talked with me. Thanks so much, Steph! We had not thought much about LGH and our feelings from being there. I was scared to go to LGH again, felt like I was reliving it in some ways and then yet dealing with trying not to be too frightened about Merlin. The terror I felt walking into the ER expecting Kira to not be living anymore and then the hope I felt after I saw her lying there pink came back to me. The dare to hope for life that we felt and then to in the end give her to Jesus for life in heaven was so real and yet so unreal. So confusing and heartwrenching again. It's made me dream the past several nights and wake up full of hope only to realize that it's not true. The valley of denial, grief, anger, shock feels like it started all over again. I say this because I feel weak, worn, and battered. I cry out to Him again and again in anguish, my mother heart full of pain and loneliness for Kira. I am human, with a human mind and I can't see His or know His whole plan for us, for Marlea, for Anna. Again because He has shown me without a doubt that He is God, I choose to trust my heavenly Father who loves me and gave His own Son for me.

We say thanks again this week for your prayers and care for us. It feels like touches of love from Jesus to us. Touches we feel very much. Pray that we will slumber peacefully. Pray for Merlin's physical healing. Pray that we will know how to guide Marlea.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

23 comments:

  1. Marylu and Merlin,
    We are so sorry to hear of the events of this week. We we lift your prayer requests and you all to the Father and we know that He hears our prayers and He does answer them. Please know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers and wishing there was something tangible we could do to ease your pain, but know there isn't. Prayer is our only option and at times it doesn't seem like enough, but we know it is.
    Love,
    Kaye and Freddy Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marylu-
    My husband and I stayed at your place for the first time last weekend with a group of friends, and really enjoyed our time there. However, my heart has been heavy since finding out about the loss of your beautiful daughter. We did not know about it when we arrived. My heart aches for you. And I am sure my words seem so inadequate after reading of both your pain and your comfort written here.
    But I do know that somehow.... God will carry you and your family through this.
    Death can be so bittersweet.
    I also wanted you to know that your words have touched and encouraged me. And I am certain I am not the only one who feels that way. I hope you will receive some comfort in knowing that.
    One verse that really helped me through a tough time in my life is-
    Isaiah 40:31- Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
    You and your family will remain in my prayers.
    God bless you-
    Debbie (& John) Aston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your honesty with the pain of life challenges me. May God be your portion every moment of every day! Naomi Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for letting us in on what it was like to walk back into the ER. You are beautiful, sis. I wish it would not be this hard, but I love you and admire you in it. You are letting God be God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your true, raw feelings! Your honesty is felt so deeply and my heart aches for you in your pain. I wish I could somehow help to relieve it~ even a little~ but I will continue to pray to The Healer for HIS healing to be poured out on all 4 of your lives! I'll pray that God's arms will wrap around each of you as you sleep tonight and you will be comforted. ---Devon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR UPDATES. YOU ARE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WRITER. IT IS SO AMAZING HOW YOU CAN PUT YOUR FEELINGS INTO WORDS AND SHARE THEM WITH SO MANY PEOPLE. I AM SORRY TO HEAR MERLIN IS NOT FEELING WELL AND I KNOW THAT IS WAS SO HARD TO GO BACK INTO THAT HOSPITAL. I HOPE YOU AND THE GIRLS ARE FEELING BETTER AND SOON YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP AND GET SOME REST. WE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU DAILY AND YOU ARE NEVER FAR FROM MY MIND. ROSE AND BOB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear cousin,
    my (new) mother's heart aches with you...your writing was beautiful and so full of feeling and i could totally relate to that deep mommy's love...thanks for letting us see what's happening in your heart. i'm sorry i didn't get to talk with you today; but i want to let you know that i'm thinking about you often and breathing prayers for you throughout the day whenever i think about you, and that happens often! i hope you can get your sleep tonight, and that everybody gets well again soon. Our Father loves you and He will never leave you alone. i love you too. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merlin & MaryLu-
    Thanks for sharing your heart. I have been so challenged since Kira went to be with Jesus to love my family better. Any day could be the last day for one of us. I'm so glad that through the intense pain and grief, you are clinging to Jesus for healing. He is faithful, and He will carry you through. I wish there'd be more I could do to ease the pain, but I can pray and I care. "Underneath are the everlasting arms." I send my love- Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write from the heart.. it is so inspiring and sad also.. I pray for your family to be able to sleep through the nights... I pray for Merlin to feel better.
    I pray for Marlea and Anna to keep you in God's light.
    You are in my daily prayers!
    You are a wonderful mother & wife.
    God Bless..
    Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marylu we were there with you last Tuesday and saw the pain on your face as you were talking to the doctor regarding Merlin. Our hearts were so heavy for you and your family as you took Merlin to the hospital. We prayed. Thank God they were able to help Merlin and not admit him. I love reading your journals. They are so heartwarming and I'm sure that will help you in your healing process. You are strong, Marylu. Just think of all that you are doing as you journey through grief. Jesus loves you,Merlin,Marlea and Anna and will carry you through this journey.
    Psalm 34:...I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears..When the afflicted call out, the Lord hears and from all distress he saves them...
    God Bless and you are always in our prayers.
    Ginny
    PS. Marylu, you should have been a writer and author!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marylu, May you rest in the arms of Jesus tonight as you end your day. My tears are not only tears of sorrow but also of love for you and your family. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless you for continuing to share your heart and your struggles. We continue to pray for you as you walk the valley of grief. May Jesus give Merlin physical healing, as He continues to heal your hearts as you work through each new feeling or struggle as it comes.
    myron and sarah sauder

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will be in our prayers. Love to you, Marv and Rachel Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete
  14. MaryLu, Merlin & Family
    We were so sorry to hear about Merlin. I can't imagine what went through your mind when you walked back into that hospital. It must have been flooded with so much emotion. We miss you and hope to come out soon to see you and hopefully spend some time with you and the girls. We miss you. We think about you everyday. Our hearts ache so much for all of you. Knowing that Kira is with Jesus is comforting, but sometimes the emotional pain has trouble being comforted...I guess that is the limits of our humanness and human understanding! We love you all so much. Debbie, Jeff & Kyra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even through your grief, you have encouraged me in my own pain. Thank you for sharing yourself with us all. It is true, death can be so bittersweet.
    I am praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MaryLu, Merlin & Family,
    I raise you all up in prayer each day.
    Thank you for sharing your feelings, emotions, and your connection with God.
    I don't have the right words. I have gratitude that such beautiful, faithfilled children of God have touched my life. I will continue to pray that you may be at peace and healed physically, and emotionally each day until you are once again reunited with your child.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When God breaks the 'vase' He created, He puts it back together again filigreed w/ gold so that the 'vase' is more beautiful
    than it ever was before...my friend, already I see this filigree in your life. I see it behind your tears & aching, longing heart. My love - Esther

    ReplyDelete
  18. MaryLu GOD bless
    I am Peggy and was with Ginny and Betty arriving on Tuesday 3/24 when Merlin was ill and you were in need of immediate medical attention for him
    The frightened look on Marlea's face was so real. When she heard you say that daddy had to go to the hospital she said " mommy will daddy die too " ?? Your calmness that showered over you at that very moment was so spiritual and alive. You made sure you left her calm and knowing daddy would be okay GOD was speaking through you for sure. HE was so present.
    May GOD continue to be that real in your lives and guide you . Your trust in HIM is so strong and visible to ALL around you
    GOD bless
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such absolutely beautiful writings come onto your healing blog.. I am touched as I read each one.. Your writings are bringing God into all of our lives, much stronger than ever before.
    I continue to pray for a healing peace for your family.
    God Bless,
    Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Marylu, Your writings are so from your heart. And I believe God is talking through you in your time of pain. You are helping so many people through times of their own pain. And maybe that was Gods way of coming into so many other lives. From the Bible, Apostle Paul and Barnabas say that hardship would be inevitable to bring them strength and encouragement. And you have showed us all your strength and have given us encouragement by reading your blogs.
    Once we accept the inevitability of hardship, we can redirest our focus from fear of trials to faithfulnes. Which you have proven. In the face of tribulations, we often sense a heavenly strength filling our souls right on time. You have taught so many that you need to just surrender yourselves to the Lord our Saviour. Thank you....
    My prayers our with you and your family.
    Love
    Bob and Sue Kurtz
    (guest at the Inn)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i cried as i read your letter....it was so good to be with you last nite and just talk....thanks for sharing with us and don't ever quit trusting...hoping! He is GOD and He WILL carry you thro!!!! Mary ann

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jamie & Bryan ZeiglerApril 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM

    Your writings are a portrait of your faith and trust in God. You are such an inspiration in your time of grief and sadness. We are praying for all your needs, that Jesus would wrap his arms around all of you and be your comforter, healer, peacemaker and provider. I pray that your family would sleep in peace and be well rested. This is the day that the Lord has made, Rejoice and be glad in it! We will continue to lift you up to the throne of God. God Bless. Love Ya.
    Jamie & Bryan Zeigler
    Carlisle PA

    ReplyDelete
  23. I pray you have been having peaceful sleep
    and that your husband is feeling better.
    What trying times you have been going through, but I know that God will continue to see you through them! It's good that you get to share your heart with others. It's good for you to release your feelings and good for all of us to be touched and strengthened by your words. Continuing to keep you in my prayers!

    Lisa Ann DiNunzio
    New Jersey

    ReplyDelete