Monday, May 4, 2009

Living with Pain

Life with pain - I can't get away from it. Pain has become my companion. I have pain-emotional and physical. I watch Merlin experience emotional and physical pain. I watch Marlea in emotional pain. Even little Anna seems to have emotional pain sometimes. Hers comes out by screaming, being attracted to three year olds, and still looking for someone who isn't here. My emotional pain comes in waves a lot of the time. Sometimes it comes from situations, things I find that were Kira's, the extra time that I have from her absence. It is always there, part of my new identity. It feels like my emotional and physical pain have become one. At Kira's graveside I thought I would be okay...I had cried so much and it felt like it was just her body going down. I didn't cry lots but I had physical pain that can only come from a mother losing part of herself. I literally felt like I was burying part of myself, which is what was happening. This child's body that I had birthed, nurtured, and loved greater than myself was going back to the earth. In a way I was awed by God's plan and realized to a greater extent how much we love our children-they are part of us. The body pain has become part of my life forever. It is not something that will go away, because God created me to want to love and nurture her, and I can't. In that I find release in my emotional being because the sting of death is gone through the power of the blood of Jesus. In that my emotional pain will heal. My heart that is sliced open will start to heal. In it's place will be a scar, but with God's help I want it to be a beautiful scar. But, even scars hurt. The tissue around them stays tender and soft. I want that...I give my pain to Jesus moment by moment...only He who has taken the sting of death away will take the sting of my pain away. The pain will never be gone, but it will not feel so bitter. I again embrace it because out of that I will stay real and alive.

In some ways the change of seasons brings so many memories and we live the pain of losing Kira all over again. I can hardly bear to watch Marlea play silently and alone outside. It is so boring! I miss the peals of laughter from mud fights, bike riding, and playing in the playhouse. I miss the little hands helping me plant flowers, bringing me dirt and stones. I miss the little hands that last year snipped off all my daffodils and tulips. Flowers were meant for mommies, not in the flower bed. As I look ahead to Mother's Day I remember last year. Anna was two weeks old and we took her to church for the first time. Now there are only two little girls and we miss the middle one so so much. Please pray that we will continue to reach out and claim God's grace for our lives. Pray also that we will have faith to continue believing God has our best in mind.

Marlea wanted to blow bubbles last week so I went outside to find some for her. I found a gigantic yellow bottle that the Eismeiers (: had given us last year. I was delighted, thinking she will have lots of bubbles to blow. I opened it and was ready to pour some out in another container. Suddenly I realized that it was filled with mud and water instead. I laughed, remembering my little sweetheart and her love for the dirt and water. And also her passion of dumping bubbles instead of blowing them. I guess blowing took too long, dumping is much more efficient. I also cried...missing her.

Words seem pale to thank all of you for still caring enough to read the blog, care for us, and lift us to the throne of the Father.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

21 comments:

  1. Marylu, You write so beautifully that it makes me cry. I still ask my mother-in-law when i see her how you are, as I think of you often. There are no words that any of us can say to ease your pain of losing Kira, but I do hope that as time goes by it will get a little easier for you. I hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day on Sunday, and we will continue to always pray for you and your family.
    Love Danny, Donna, Megan and Matthew Nickel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylu, Your words say what I am unable to say right now. I am experiencing all the emotions and feelings you write about at this moment and my heart is breaking from the huge hole that has been left with the death of a child. Thank you for writing and helping me voice through you what I am experiencing. I thank God each day for bringing your family into our family. We love you more than you know, and pray for you daily. Love, Evelyn Watson, NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou, your words are so real and expressive. Mom and I feel the pain with you.
    We are thankful for your courage and committed to journey with you in this totally unexpected loss.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart wrenches again. thanks, sis, for letting us see and feel the pain with you, and worship . . . love you, evie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still caring, still loving, still praying!

    Charlie and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to be honest in writing out your feelings and still being so open to your Savior and Father. In my time of loss, I did not take enough time to do that, and in a sense you are helping me--and others, I'm sure--while you are working through your loss. May you sense a special surrounding of your family tonight.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  7. my friend - once again, my arms are around you - my love, Esther

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Lou~
    Thanks again for you transparency! Your writings are so real. I feel honored to be able to read your blog and travel "with you" on this journey. Take care... you are prayed for! ---Devon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for shareing your true feelings. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the blog to know how to pray for you...thanks for being transparent.
    Sarah Sauder

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep sharing your feelings! The hope of God shines through your questions. Naomi Miller

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing I say can comfort like God, so my prayer is the God of all comfort will continually comfort you. Mary N.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel so selfish having waited until today to read the newest posting but I know you understand. I can see her dumping out the bubbles...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your post. Marylu. We're praying for you, esp w/Mother's Day coming up! May God give you extra grace and comforting love Sunday!!
    ~Renita Yoder

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marylu, Merlin, Marlea and Anna: God Bless all of you. You are truly an inspiration!! Such a lovely family. Marylu, please remember that we are just "next door" and would be more than happy to watch the children if you need us. We are always just "a few steps away". Sandy and Fred (and Baxter sends his love to Marlea)!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marylou, your courage and honesty is showing a whole other side of you - an amazing strength that i didn't know was possible for a grieving mother to have. and i see that strength when i stand next to you at church and sing. every time i hear you singing i want to cry - you have an incredible voice, but besides that, the fact that you can still sing, and the fact that i can so easily tell that you are meaning the words you are singing with your whole heart. the other sunday we sang "it is well" and i couldn't sing for the sadness i felt for you, and yet there you were, singing with all your heart. i'm honored to know you, and to still be able to share in your grief and journey thru your writing this blog. -Katrina S

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merlin, Marylou, Marlea, and Anna,

    We are sorry we missed saying "Good Bye" to you before we left last Sunday. It was such a delight to see you again. We are praying for you and asking for God's healing that only He can provide. Word's can't express our pain and hurt for you. Just know you are in our prayers. We will see you next year(or before if we can arrange a girls weekend in the fall).

    In His Love,
    Darlene McCune and Beth Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  18. CONTINUING TO LIFT YOU AND
    YOUR FAMILY UP IN PRAYER!
    MY HEART FEELS YOUR PAIN,
    BUT I AM THANKFUL THAT YOU
    FIND COMFORT IN WRITING AND
    SHARING YOUR HEART WITH US.
    MAY THE LORD CONTINUE TO
    GIVE YOU STRENGTH EACH AND
    EVERY DAY, MINUTE BY MINUTE!

    HUGZ,
    LISA ANN DINUNZIO
    NEW JERSEY

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to think of you today on Mother's day. I know you have 2 beautiful daughters with you, but i'm sure you're missing Kira too! I'm asking God to hold you close today. -Vanessa Ramos Peachey

    ReplyDelete
  20. I lost my son in 2000. It was like a hot rock in my chest. My family and friends(?) deserted me. I was divorced from his father and he would not allow me any influence about Aaron's death or burial. As my sister dropped me at the bus station where I sat alone for 3 hours before the bus came, I sat quietly wondering what was happening to his body and where it would be buried. It turns out he was cremated and buried with his grandfather and shortly after his father and grandmother who could not take the strain.
    At some point during the first week I began to cry. No, not cry 'keen'. I threw myself on the rug and howled like a dog. I howled til I could no longer howl. Your can imagine what I looked like and after the days of unwashed grief, what I smelled like.
    At that long/short moment in time I talked to God. I asked God to either help me through this time or find an acceptable 'accident' in order to get me out of this life, which apparently neither myself no my son had enjoyed. I had passed on the 'depression' trait. This was the payoff. 1 dead son. Oh did I forget to mention that he shot himself? Funny I usually mention that first. It eliminates so many 'new friends' from your life.
    For the last ten years I have tried desperately to find someone anyone who could say the words that I wanted to say. To hear the 'cri du coer' from another mother.
    I am so grateful to you for verbalizing my pain.
    Thanks
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh and it does get better. Honestly. God and I are 'on it'.

    ReplyDelete