Monday, July 20, 2009

Coincidence

We say it all the time-coincidence. We believe it as we hear a crazy story. We act as if it were coincidence when we tell something that happened. We walk down the road and just happen to see a friend. We call someone and they were going to call me-it just happened..? We read a book and it just happens to meet a need. We open our Bible to read and find just the right verse. Do things just happen? Is there anything like coincidence? The last four months I have been thinking a lot about the whole ordeal and since then. The many things that have happened were so right. When I called 911 - I believe God arranged which operator would answer. She responded with exactly what I needed; she has touched me in ways I didn't expect. In a matter of three minutes my neighbor was charging in the house - I didn't even know him then. He came complete with an EMT license and a bag of medical emergency stuff. In seven minutes the ambulance was here and Kira was in the ambulance. It wasn't coincidence...this is amazing...this is God. This was so fast for everything to happen! I know all this because the emergency operator was timing it. In fifteen minutes Kira was at the hospital. At Hershey she didn't just happen to have the right nurses. They were all so gentle and caring. I firmly believe we had the perfect nurse for each day we were there. Coincidence - no...God! The doctor she had was exactly the right one-the more he learned about her, the more he loved her. He sorrowed and wept right with us. God knew we needed him - it was no coincidence. Since then I could recall countless times when I received cards with exactly the right verses and words from people who care. I could tell of numerous times when my devotional in the evening was exactly what I had been thinking all day. The one night after writing a blog and using a verse, that same verse was in my devotional. Coincidence - no...God! God is so much bigger then we think He is. It is so beyond our comprehension how insignificant we are, how God can be everywhere at one time, and how much He cares for us. These things I mentioned here are from God. I don't believe in coincidence anymore. There have been too many. I firmly believe that God is the controller of this universe and every little detail that happens in it. Yes - bad things happen. Bad things happened to me - but look how God cared for us in spite of it all. I can't get around it-I honor the God of heaven and earth!

In the morning when I am doing breakfast for my guests I miss Kira so much. She often woke earlier than the other two. If I was finished making breakfast I would hold her on the rocking chair and rock and cuddle her. I would sit there as long as she wanted. It was her "momma time". Last week I was thinking so much about it and missing her. What do you know, that morning Anna woke early and has been every morning since. Coincidence - no...God! No, she won't replace Kira but it was a touch of heaven to me. I miss those momma times with Kira...Jesus, please hold Kira for me. Oh, the pain that goes with trusting that Jesus knows how to care for her is beyond words.

Merlin's bad days are definitely getting fewer. Praise God with us for that! Thanks so much for caring and praying. The next two weeks look trying to us, since both our families will be spending time together; and so, our first family vacations without Kira. Please pray that we would feel God's grace in real ways. In some ways it looks impossible....

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

11 comments:

  1. Dear MaryLou,
    "Coincidently", I am going through a very difficult time right now and just as I am leaving for the hospital with my mom who is ill and having a major test today... I am reading your blog...
    It has helped me immensely ...
    thank you, and God Bless you and your family..
    you are in my prayers.
    Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend...I'm praying! My love - Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. *tears* remembering getting to your house w/ the ambulance there. all the medic ppl running around. i can't believe how much i miss kira, like tonight at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Friends,
    We had heard of your experience thru friends and were praying for you during this time. This week a friend sent me this blog...there just are no words to describe the pain...I have not lost a child but have lost my Dad and some close friends...it really is amazing how God works thru friends (and people who don't even know your situation) to brighten your days! We are put here on this earth to help each other through good times and bad. Praying that God will Bless you with peace and grace as you care for your husband and precious children. Your writings brought many tears and were very encouraging to me,
    Love, Rosanna Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janelle (Glick) ByersJuly 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

    Marylu, I think of you a lot. Praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continuing to hold you and your family up in prayer! God continues to put you on my heart and mind!

    Gid bless,
    Lisa Ann DiNunzio
    New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continuing to hold you and your family up in prayer! God continues to put you on my heart and mind!

    God bless,
    Lisa Ann DiNunzio
    New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen, sister. Your strong faith amazes me over and over again. Haven't spent much time with you during the last week or so. Miss you and love you. Was thinking a lot during the past days about the time spent with Kira (and you) at Hershey. I guess it's five months now. I miss her. And I feel sad.

    When Joshua was going through all the names of the cousins who will be at the mountains he said he thinks that Kira will walk for a long time and be there too. - Renita

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was wonderful spending the weekend with you and the rest of the family. I missed Kira's sweetness. My heart aches to see you in pain, but am so glad to see you trusting God-- He knows the plans He has for you...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Daughter,
    I agree with you, coincidence is not an acceptable mindset. God over rules with His loving soveriegn hand. Seems long since seeing you and am looking forward to our family vacation time. When I thought about it today and framed mind pictures of Kira's absence, tears were inevitable.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Marylou,

    You are so right about coincidence. As a christian I believe that everything is directed and or allowed by God. I work in an Amish restaurant in NJ. I believe that every customer that sits in my section is there on purpose. I often ask the Lord to allow them to some how see Jesus in me and maybe someday come to know Him as Savior. I pray that you all are healing. Thank you for growing and learning and for allowing God to show you so much!

    In Christ,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete