Monday, July 27, 2009

Talking

Talking is an amazing act of the brain, vocal cords, tongue, and mouth. It's what we use to communicate our heart, our feelings. By using this tool we convey to other people who we are. We base our opinions of people a lot by what they say. We use quotes from people who died many years ago. Sometimes we are not sure what to say, and the wrong words come out at the wrong time. We want other people to share their feelings but we might have to ask a simple question first. That simple question is the bridge, a bridge into people's hearts. Picture with me an old concrete bridge-the kind with big round holes in the bottom for boats to pass through. There is a break in this bridge. Across the gap there is a skinny two by four. Caring questions are that bridge. They open the way to meaningful conversation, heart feelings, intense struggle. They might be what that person needs to feel God right at that minute. A person can be intensely lonely but a question can change it all around in minutes. A person might be hurting but a question can bring that person out of despair and straight to Jesus. One might be thinking nobody cares, but your kind question is an act of "a little of Christ" to him or her. We are generally scared of talking, especially in anything involving intense pain. We are scared to ask that simple question. On the other hand, if asked that question - some of us are afraid to be honest. Bridging the gap is so intense because Satan loves to make us feel alone, lost, and in despair. Martyr style is great for him. Jesus wants us to bridge that gap; He calls us to be caring, gently guides us to ask questions, and gives us the strength to relay our feelings to others so they know how to care for us. Talking also connects happenings in our lives. Situations change us - to talk bridges that gap and connects us to the person we are talking with. It connects us because we feel care, love, and concern for each other when we talk.

Today two people stand out in my mind when I think about talking. Both of these people wouldn't have had to ask me any questions, they wouldn't have had to share personal experiences with me. But they did, they braved it and looked me in the eye. They cared enough to take the time to encourage me. They were "a little of Christ" to me. The one person I met briefly maybe twice. The other I had never met before. In turn, I listened intently to their words, their story. I cared about their pain in ways that I wouldn't have before. If only I could have been like this without being in such intense pain myself. Jesus did it-I want to do it to. Matthew 5:15 reads "Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."

Kira was just turning into a little lady. She was leaving the two year old world and entering the world of a three year old. Linda, my sister-in-law shared a memory with me this weekend of the last time she had been with Kira. When we arrived for Christmas, Kira came up shyly beside her and said: "Hi". So sweet, so her. I can feel her beside me now saying: "thanks for supper, mom". I guess God makes the little ones who are more high maintenance sweet so the good outweighs the bad. They are heart melters.

Thanks to all of you who bridge the gap bravely in our lives. You are daring to walk onto that narrow path holding us by the hand. You have encouraged us gently to talk - to share our feelings and intense struggles. We will never be able to repay you but you have drawn us to Jesus. Thanks especially for praying for us last weekend. The hole Kira left is huge and it hurt so much to go on vacation and have a good time without her. But again, talking with our family helped so much!

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marylu:
    Thanks for your reflections. They are so beautiful & thought provoking.
    Last weeks message on "Coincidence" was so meaningful. There are so many instances in my own life that could only have been orchestrated by God alone. A few years ago when we were going through a particularly stressful time with my elderly parents as they approached heaven, we were helped along the way with wonderful folks who provided assistance and love when we were about at our exhaustion point. They were there, in some cases perfect strangers, when we most needed them. They "Bridged the gap" and they were "Jesus" to us (with skin on). We were and are so grateful and appreciative of a God who is so good and does not abandon those who are His failthful followers.
    Interesting though, we have never once came across those wonderful folks again.

    In your "Talking" reflection, I was again reminded of how important it is to see Jesus in those we meet as we walk this journey of life. We will never know of the needs of others at the time, but I always pray that I can be an encouragement and a blessing.
    Thank you for your honesty and openness
    I continue to pray for you and the family.
    Lee Tucekr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marylu and Merlin,

    The Lord placed on my heart today to check your blog which I haven't checked for a few weeks. My heart is so blessed by your faithful relationship with the Lord and continues to ache for you as you miss your precious Kira. There are some things that are just impossible to understand in this life and this is one. Your hearts will always long for your daughter, but I know the Lord will continue to give you the grace that you need for each day. I'm so glad that you share how you are feeling so that we can continue to pray specifically for your whole family. God bless you with His awesome love and grace.
    Love, Laura Dolan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your deep insights, Mary Lou, you worded it so well. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marylou,

    Just wanted you to know that I am still praying for you all. Glad to hear Merlin is doing a little better. May God continue to bring healing to you all. Thank you for blogging each week.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete