Monday, July 13, 2009

Wanted: a Map

Today is my birthday. On my birthday I like to plan a little about the next year. What will I do, who will I become, what would I like to change to become a better person? Today, July 13, 2009 I wish for a map. A map that would tell me where to go in life, with all my feelings and thoughts. A map that would give me some kind of direction of how all my sorrow and pain will become redeemed and beautiful at the foot of the cross. A map to tell me how to let it be redeemed-how to let it become beautiful. A map to direct if I should go east, west, north, or south. Right now I feel like I am being pulled in all directions. They are interpreted by denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and the most encompassing one: acceptance. The acceptance one is a pull that feels like all directions at once. Also the most confusing - because I will never be okay with what happened to Kira. My acceptance has to do with being redeemed by Jesus. I wish this map would also tell me who I will become after this fight. How do I know what to feel if I can't see the end result? I have no idea who I will become, or who I am even trying to become because I am not trying to become anyone and yet I am changing. But really what has changed is the direction I am going...my goal is heaven more then ever before. There is a map to heaven - it is the written word of God. That can be frustrating because I have trouble absorbing what I read. So that brings me back to the beginning: I wish for a map. But alas, there is none to tell me exactly where to go, what to feel. It is uncharted territory. I have never been here before. I have no experience. No one else does either because every situation is different. Sure - advice and insight help tremendously but really in the end it is us, Kira, and what happened. And the power I tend to forget about, the one who will guide me if I just let Him, the one who waits until I ask for direction: Jesus. I have been thinking about this for weeks already and already God brought a major happening into my life that was far beyond anything I imagined would ever happen. The healing I experienced from the happening was amazing and real. From this experience I can trust more easily that God is in control. But it takes a tremendous amount of trust and being okay with the "lost" feeling.

Last year on my birthday we went to Chili's restaurant. We took the girls along. We had a great time, only I never got to eat my food. I had to bring it home and eat it later. We were so busy keeping the three girls happy I didn't even mind eating it later. If I remember right the keeping happy became a joke: Marlea fussing, Kira's tummy hurt, and Anna was crying. I wished for it tonight. We were only four tonight and each of us was quite well behaved in comparison. The fifth person would maybe have been acting like a little lady, too? It was almost like I could reach out and feel her presence. And yet if I tried it was unattainable, just beyond my reach. The hole.....

Pray that we will continue to trust our heavenly Father, and that we will feel His deep love for us. Pray that we would see glimpses of His Map as a touch of His reassurance that He does indeed love us.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday MaryLou!! I didn't know your bday was so close to Lindsay's... her's is today! I hope you find somekind of "map" from Jesus... or atleast can relax in peace knowing that He does have "your map" and is directing you. I guess Jesus is our GPS and we just have to trust Him that he's telling us the right places to turn or go straight according to where He wants us to end up. Bless you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylu,
    I know that the words "Happy Birthday" don't mean the same this year. For that I am so sorry. My pastor used to say that our journey with God is compared to us driving a car at night. God is like our headlights, in that He doesn't show us the end, he shows us just far enough ahead to keep us going in the right direction. Continuing to lift you all to the Father in prayer.
    Love,
    Kaye Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! It was really good to finally be able to see you at the wedding and give you a hug. We are looking forward to seeing you some more when we are in Lancaster.
    Love and prayers,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I missed your birthday. I worked the past couple of days and have not been online. I have had the same request for a map. This new life is so weird. In some ways it is clearer than ever. In others it is more cloudy. I guess it's all about trust. The greatest explorers in the world did not set out with a map, just an idea of a direction they wanted to go in. We know where we want to go and with whom we want to be with. His way is the only way. Our ways are the obstacles. I know there is no great advice, no great words. Not one of us is good enough to bring you healing. It can only come from above. Just know you all are loved. And it is ok to celebrate YOU and your life. Jesus loves YOUR life, too. He SO loves Marylu and Merlin and Marlea and Anna.
    Throw some mud. Blow some bubbles. Eat some cake.
    Love you,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Marylou,

    I am so greatful for your blogs every week a they teach me so much. I have tried to comment several times and my computer wouldn't let me.

    That is all there is to keep our eyes on Jesus and to trust His promises. God is so merciful and His compassions they fail not. I continue to pray for you all, wishing to be see you sometime.

    Debbie & (Charlie)
    cbriggs6@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was good to meet you last night at the auction. We continue to pray. I know that Jesus does continue to walk with you. And hurt with you.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you, my sis! - Renita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi cuz,

    I was thinking about you tonight, so I thought I would let you know. much love, Lyd

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone previously commented that you should write a book. I totally agree. Even though you write them in pain, your words are so uplifting and inspiring.

    We pray that God continues to watch over you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete