Monday, July 6, 2009

Disconnected

Disconnected-that's how I feel. Over four months later I find myself wondering "Did this really happen to me, am I sure it happened, is it just a bad dream?" I look outside and see someone walking past on the road or next door-maybe it happened to them and not me. I see someone at the store-maybe that was their child I heard about. I meet a car on the road-maybe it is them with an empty car seat. I have trouble remembering who I am. I have trouble remembering what the pain is that I am feeling so strongly. I get mixed up and upset about strange things that have no significance in comparison to the real pain that I feel. I have trouble identifying the issue when my children are upset...after all - what really are they feeling? How am I to know when their little minds don't understand everything. So I falter, guess, and guess again. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am way off. Usually they are just like me: confused, searching, and hurting. Sometimes I need to be reminded that it is summer and not fall or winter. How would I know when I can hardly recognize beauty? I look at a picture of the five of us and wonder who those people were. I wish with all my heart to feel the middle child on that picture and know her now, today. In that I remember the pain, reality, the happenings of the last months. Today I remembered it by reading the blog from Feb. 24th. Tears came, I couldn't deny that it's not true. It sounded too familiar. I am the mother, we are the family, it is our child/sister. She is gone, my worst nightmare became reality. I am not the same, and I never will be. I am confused, hurting, wounded and it's okay. Someday there will be no more pain, sickness, death, sorrow, or crying. I will live today with life in perspective of heaven because there is no other way to live. I will live today knowing that God has me in the palm of His hand because there is no other way I can survive. I will live today because I am blessed to have two little girls yet to care for and a husband who loves me.

As I lay in bed tonight putting Marlea to sleep I was reminded of Kira. She was sometimes scary to lay beside. Not so much the last six months as before that. If she was mad at you for some reason, you needed to watch out. She had strong legs and very good aim. Somehow, she always managed to get me in the stomach with a good sound kick. If it wasn't the stomach it was my face. The aim was impeccable and produced some kind of fulfillment for her. Her mother - on the other hand - was not at all amused.

Everyone's encouragement to us is very uplifting. We continue to thank you all for it. It is so nice to read back over all these encouraging notes when I need an extra lift. Words can not express my gratitude. Merlin is still doing okay. He took another blood test and the infection antibody levels remain about the same. That was a bit discouraging, it would be nice to see improvement. Pray that we will not be discouraged!

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

8 comments:

  1. You express yourself so openly .. it puts alot of things in perspective for many people, I'm sure.
    Please know that you and your family are in my daily prayers..
    Nothing will ever be the same and only God knows what is in store for all of us.
    God Bless you and Merlin and the girls.
    I pray for his good health
    sincerely,
    Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, my friend! These waves of grief that ebb & flow...just know my arms are around you!
    My love - Esther Glick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got off the phone with Barry and I made the comment "it's just not the same when we're not together is it?" I know I cannot feel your void as a mom, nor can I or anyone else fill your void. It's just not the same when we're not together. Disconnected. I so understand that. I so love you all, more than words could ever say. It's just not the same without any of you, without Kira, without Mike. But I am grateful I have some part of each of you in my life. That is a connection that is forever bonded...no matter the distance in that bond, from here to eternity. Love, Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marilu:
    I so admire your ability to open your heart and allow us to get a glimmer of your pain. My heart aches for you and your family.
    After reading this blog, I wanted to reach out and hug & comfort you in some way, knowing full well that it would be so inadequate a gesture.
    I do continue to pray for all of you. I so appreciate the gift that God has blessed you with in the amazing courage it must take to write as you do and then share your innermost thoughts with the world. You will impact many for the cause of Christ by sharing your faith and trust.
    We continue to keep you in prayer and pray also that Merlin will soon recover.
    God Bless you,
    Lee Tucker
    PS: I did not get to comment on the last 2 blogs which were beautiful. The one on Grace is awesome and I pray that it reached many. God's grace is sufficient and gives us all we need freely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marylu,
    You are so right, you have two beautiful little girls that need you and you have a wonderful husband. STAY STRONG AND KEEP BELIEVING!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. **happy birthday marylu**
    hope you have a blessed day.
    thank you for sharing your heart w/ us.
    tears about the thought that Kira isn't here to celebrate your birthday w/ you.
    love you.
    Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday!!!!!! I prayed a special prayer for you today!
    Love,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey lady hope you had a wonderful birthday! we need to get together once again. --Michele

    ReplyDelete