Monday, September 14, 2009

Balancing

There is more to the removal of denial than I anticipated. My balance in this circle - and interrupting it - is being shaken to the core. Some of the events of the last weeks have intensified my desire to be more real and be okay with Kira being in heaven. By trying to face denial more intensely my longings for Kira have also intensified, which in turn makes the struggle to rely on God more intense. I keep reminding myself that I have chosen to trust God, and no one is forcing me to do so. I find that by removing denial, the other parts of "the circle of grief" seem to still be at home. I have decided that they are going to stay. They don't seem wrong to me. Anger is part of God. Bargaining can have it's place, although the Bible accounts of this don't always turn out really well. Depression is sometimes a part of walking through a valley - because when we are low we search the Bible more and seek out God. Life isn't all mountain top experiences, so ups and downs have their place in the balance. The last visitor in the circle "acceptance," is definitely a Godly attribute. These visitors are tipsy, and all of them can be taken too far. There seems to be a gentle balance between good and bad for them. Will I learn to live the balance? My visitors in this grief circle - with God's grace - will become balanced. Will I learn when I am tempted to overbalance to not do so, but instead rely and trust in God more? Will I recognize the signs of overbalance and stop myself before I get there?

Kira loved to come into bed with us. Neither Marlea or Anna liked to sleep there but to Kira it was the ultimate sleeping spot. She usually didn't care if I was there or not, it was Daddy she wanted. At fourteen months old she was climbing out of her crib by herself. Out of fear that she would hurt herself, we put her in a toddler bed. So of course this was great, since she could now find our bed by herself whenever she wanted to do so. She hardly ever slept through the night until she was two years and three months old - so this was a constant struggle. One morning after a particularly restless night, I awoke with a start. Where was she? I then felt some feet in my hair and after a closer look I found her curled around Merlin's head. They were both sleeping peacefully. I sighed and enjoyed the moment. I often think of those sleepless nights and thank God for them. I got to hold her and spend hours more time with her that way. Sure, they were frustrating but the experiences outweigh the frustrations now.

As I reflect on the balancing act I am once again drawn to the people that catch me when I tip over the edge. Our families catch us so often; but, it is in other ways too. Some days it is a card that I get in the mail that catches me. Some days a phone call or email. Lots of days it is the many comments left on here that encourage me. I have lots and lots I can read over and over. We humbly again say thank you.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

8 comments:

  1. Marylu and Merlin, Marlea & Anna,

    I continue to feel your loss, and
    keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
    They say time is a healer, but when you
    lose someone you love the pain and
    loss will always be there, you just
    draw strength from the Lord each and
    every day. I have lost loved ones, but
    I have NEVER forgotten them, I want to
    keep their memory alive and cherish the
    time we had here on earth. God can make
    the pain less...but to take it completely
    away would mean to let go of the memories,
    and I would never want to let them go! So,
    I just thank God for helping me not be over taken by grief, so that I may go on living for him and sharing his word and love with others. I pray that you draw strength from the Lord to see you through every day, and every minute while remembering, and keeping Kira's memory alive!

    God bless you, as you are a blessing to others, including me!

    Lisa Ann DiNunzio
    New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylu, Merlin, Marlea, Anna,
    You continue to be in my prayers. I think of you often. As I continue to co-lead a Grief Share group, I have to tell you that I have shared some of your writings with the group and plan to do so tonight. I know that what you write is what you feel and what God is revealing of himself to you. Just know, that God is allowing others to be comforted by your honest and heart felt sharing. I know that God will continue to be there with you every second of every day.
    Love,
    Kaye Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not learned or accepted the balancing act. I was not good at it before our losses. I am no better at it, now. But your example helps. I am soaking up your sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, my sister. - Renita

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you type your thoughts and feelings and put them out for all others to read, I feel it is through God that you are not only comforting yourself, but others as well.
    Your writings are very heartfelt.
    You and your family are in my daily prayers.
    God Bless you!
    Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am learning so much from you, sister!
    Love you,
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  7. MaryLou, Your writings remind everyone of people they have loved and lost and how they can't ever forget them. It would be great if you consulted someone about compiling your thoughts and writings in a booklet to console others and to share your Faith in God. You can derive consolation knowing that Kira is now one of His angels. God bless you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merlin & Marylou~ Just wanted to let you know that we continue to pray for you guys and think of you guys often. I can only imagine the pain that you guys must feel. Your honesty is very beautiful... Feels like a God thing! I will pray that you are all comforted in special ways this week! ---Mike n Dev

    ReplyDelete