Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Choices

This past year I have made lots of choices. One of the first ones I made was to care more about Kira's happiness than about her recovery. That was a hard one; I wanted her to live very badly but God called us strongly to that choice. Another one I made was to embrace grief and not run away. Choosing grief brought buckets of tears, valleys of disappointment, and heartache as I had never know to be possible for a body to endure. I can understand slightly how dying of a broken heart can be possible. A lot of the time I felt as if I were swimming with only my nose above water. Later on I made the choice to remove anger from the circle of emotions. That was a partial success; one I am still addressing. It pushed me closer to reconciling my trust in God. When Christmas came I made the choice to try to enjoy it... a choice that proved very difficult to do given the circumstances. On Kira's birthday I ate the bitter cake for days; I partially had to choose to enjoy it. As the year came around we chose to celebrate - especially children - by having a party, some activities, and lots of good conversations with people who freely embraced our grief with us. Many more of you have done so also that weren't here, and we feel that deeply as well. Again it was a choice to not run away from the pain of it being a year. The choice to be alright with healing seems to follow me these days. Just like I found pain around the corners, in the closet, running after me - I now feel healing along with it. And it feels confusing. I want it - I want to make that choice but I have discovered that along with the choice comes more pain. I still don't like pain. I struggle to be okay with what happened. I struggle to accept the last memories of Kira here in our home... Little things still set off my memory. Yet strongly and urgently healing calls me to accept it as part of what is shaping my life to be the person God must think I can be.

I have been digging in the dirt. It reminds me so much of Kira. She loved the dirt so much I even caught her eating it sometimes. Today we were mulching. I remembered Kira two years ago bringing her little bucket to fill with mulch to help her mommy. Anna was born at the end of April two years ago and it's always more fun to help mommy when she is helpless. Or maybe then they feel really needed? She was so sweet about it and such a diligent worker!

Please pray that we can discern following God's plan of healing in our lives.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

3 comments:

  1. Another touching post Marylu! The greatest choice you have done through this whole time
    in your lives is the choice to trust Jesus and to follow Him! That is a true testimony itself! May you have a very blessed Mother's Day! Praying for you all...Lisa =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marylu:
    Thank you for sharing your courageous journey with such faith & trust in the Lord.
    At our Mass yesterday, the pastor gave a special Mother's Day blessing to all of us. I offered a prayer for you at that special time, that you will be blessed with peace and healing.
    God is always at your side guiding and strengthening you each day. Keep your eyes on Jesus as you are doing & Little by little, you will embrace the healing.
    You are always in my prayers.
    Love,
    Lee T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Marylu,

    Is still think of you and pray for you often. As I type this I am sitting in my oldest daughters house in Michigan. We found out less than 2 weeks ago that the little one she carried for 8 and 1/2 months died. She is grieving. I am afraid to leave. But her faith is strong and like you she will get through. If you think about it please pray for her. Her name is Becky. I would have sent this to your e-mail but I can't pick it up. Debbie

    ReplyDelete