Monday, May 25, 2009

How it used to be

Happy shrieks of laughter, horrific arguments, and Anna yelling from being tormented. A sweet little girl finding her momma in the inn kitchen in the morning, calling her daddy on his phone for breakfast, wanting to be rocked all by herself while the others were still sleeping. Two little girls clamoring for Daddy's attention, two little girls running out the door to go with Daddy on a delivery, two little girls riding a dirtbike with their Daddy. The sounds of four little feet running through the house, two little girls eating supper, two little girls getting a bath, two little girls planning to wear look alike pj's, two little girls listening to stories. One little girl falling asleep during prayer, relaxed in her daddy's arms(at least some nights). Her older sister takes a long time to fall asleep - but she is out like the lamp. Two little girls laying in bed fast asleep, the shrieks of laughter are turned into dreamy thoughts and the horrific arguments are forgotten. A momma and daddy tiptoe in when weary eyes are closed-smile thankfully and turn out the light. Now, if we can just convince the baby to sleep yet, peace will be ours for a few hours. Later they come back again and smile, seeing three little girls sleeping blissfully.

These are scenes of the past for us. Scenes we enjoyed and loved. Times we treasure-moments we lived that will never be back to the same. Instead, one five year old who feels lost and lonely. One little girl playing by herself, occasional shrieks of laughter from a five year old and a baby trying to play together, but few arguments to solve. One little girl to read stories to, pray with, and try to persuade to go to sleep in her big empty bed. Momma and Daddy tiptoe in to turn off the light and there is one little girl in bed and a baby in the crib. Later, they tiptoe in again and smile thanking God for two precious little girls but dreadfully missing the third. We again cry out to God in our pain desperately needing His grace to sleep another night, live another day. Inside we feel like knocking on Heaven's gate, asking for answers that we can't find here. In our frailty we remember that when we do get to heaven's gate-the questions of this pain filled earth won't matter anymore. What will matter is that we lived the way God called us to live with our whole hearts.

Marlea's cousin spent a night and day here last week. When she left Marlea and I cried and cried. It was just a touch of how it used to be and then she left. The pain was unbearable for both of us. Trying to understand pain is difficult and yet so simple for a five year old. At the table the other morning Marlea said: "Mommy, how did Kira sound when she talked to her doll?" We both sat in silence looking at our plates trying to remember. Neither of us could and the pain was so intense. Wanting to remember so badly and yet we couldn't. Pray that our minds would be filled with clear simple memories. We passed the three month mark this month.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea and Anna

13 comments:

  1. 'I will give you rest...' - Jesus

    my love - Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylu,
    My husband and I stayed at the inn a few times and always felt so welcome. I have been following your blog and want you to know that you continue to be in our prayers. You have amazing, genuine faith, and that is a true testimony to all who read this. Continue to "Turn your eyes upon Jesus". There are no words i can offer...i cannot imagine all that you have gone through...as i have two little girls of my own. i just pray that you will feel the peace that passes all understanding.
    sincerely,
    Margaret E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blogs and wipe tears every time. I can not imagine your pain but in a VERY small way it has become more real to me. My husband and I lost our little one through a miscarriage last week. The pain from that is so REAL but I have never lost a child I have met and had to care for...may God give you strength and peace.May God surround your family with precious memories...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, all I can say to God is "owwwwwww!" This hurts! Make it go away. I hurt for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for continuing to share your heart. My tears are with you everytime I read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Daughter
    Your writing is very descriptive and it feels as though I'm there with you as I read your blog letter. Kira's absence is so real. I admire your for so courageously writing giving many others a peep into your pain riddled mother heart. Keep looking to Jesus (Heb. 12:2)

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Yutzy Family, My family and I have all spent time at your beautiful Inn during the past few years. My mother told me of your tragic loss and we have been praying for all of you. Kira is a very beautiful little girl who seems to have had just as beautiful of a spirit. I also wait with you for the day when we will live forever with our Lord and see those who we miss today. I wanted to thank you for sharing your story with all of us. Marylu your writting touches my mother heart very deeply. I can feel the meaning and wonder of every word. Tonight as I read your blog I am reminded by what you said about having questions that we want to ask when we see Heavens gate. You asked if these questions that seem to hold so much importance to us here on earth, will even matter to us when we see the face of our God. I as well always felt as if I had many questions that I wanted to ask God. Thank you for reminding me that Heaven is so wonderful that the problems and pain we feel now will be taken from us. I agree with your dads letter above that you are giving so many people hope. You are teaching us through your story that everyday matters and in the business of everyday life we need to make more time for loving eachother. You are a brave person and you give great honor to God and your beautiful daughter, through your letter sharing. Thank you. Tonight as I go to bed I held my daughter a little longer, watched her sleep, gave thanks to God and asked Him to bring you peace tonight and with every new day. My prayer is that you feel all of the love of each mothers heart for you this evening. We share in your pain as mothers and hope with eachday for you until someday soon you are reunited with your sweet girl! My Favorite verse for the hard times Jer29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you " declares the Lord, "Plans to bring you hope and a future." Love in Christ, Joy, Jerrod and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sis, I love you. You wrote, "What will matter is that we live the way God called us to live with our whole heart." Often these days I am amazed at how well you do just that - live with your whole heart.

    Thank you for all the beautiful photos of Kira you gave to us. I missed her so much last evening when the girls were here...missed her coming to me with some funny request, missed her echoing Marlea's conversation at the supper table, missed her looking out for Racquel...

    Always lifting you to the Father. - Renita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your writings. you are very Gifted!!! i WEEP every time i read a new update. My mother heart aches with you!!!! I'm so thankful for a God that cares for each of us and esp at times like this, when i, in my inexperience of a loss of a child have no words to say other than MAY GOD BLESS YOU!!! Rachel Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read and pray with each of your writings!
    God is so testing you and your family! I know it is because Kira was and is special!
    You will see one day in our Lord's kingdom!
    God Bless you and know that others are thinking and praying with and for you!
    please take care of yourself,
    Linda Devlin ( guests of your Inn)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog through a link on someone else's site and although I don't know you I just had to respond. I cried and cried as I read your posts of what you have been through over the past few weeks/months. Your pain is so real and gripping and you speak of the very real fear that is in the heart of every parent that something like this might happen to their child.
    I am so encouraged to see you clinging to and living out your faith in the midst of your pain and that instead of leashing out in anger at God you run to Him with your pain. I hope I will do the same should I ever have to face what you have had to.
    My prayers are with your family. May God bring healing and peace to your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again, thanks for sharing...for not hiding your pain but being willing to look at it and let others see too. Today as I drove past your place I prayed for you, and that you and Merlin can share with each other in your grief and your healing. And Jesus understands that tension between wanting to be healed, and yet not wanting to forget. May He continue to meet your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cried as I read this post. Especially the last couple of sentences. I have never lost a child (except 2 thru miscarriage), but I have experienced quite a number of other family deaths. I agree, it is so painful to forget the sound of a loved one's voice. Praying that you & Marlea will hear echoes of Kira's sweet voice in your dreams tonight, to comfort your hurting hearts. Keep blogging; I am learning so much from your experience, and my prayer is that I can be a better mother to my children because of the lessons I have learned from you.

    ReplyDelete