Sunday, May 31, 2009

Expectations of God

Expectation: the prospect of something good to happen. What is my view of God? Do I put myself on a pedestal expecting God to bless me because of what He allowed in my life? I feel sometimes like I hold Him out at arm's length. "God, if you do this, I will..." Is that actually how my heart feels or is that Satan distorting the fundamental belief that God is good? What makes me expect that I should receive blessings from God? Who am I, but a little person in the eyes of a big God. The Bible says that God sees a sparrow fall. If God cares about the sparrow, won't he see and bless me? But, why do I deserve His blessing? Am I a waiting - like a dog waiting for a biscuit? What if something "bad" would happen? Would I forsake God because my disappointment would be so great? Am I going to live life waiting for something? Or am I going to love God with no reserve - unconditionally. To love unconditionally means to love with all your heart no matter what happens. In all my wanderings and expectations I choose to love. Love is much more fulfilling, more calming, and a lot less worrisome. After all, if God loved me enough to die for my sins, why shouldn't I love? The human part of me will continue to question, and Satan will continue to try to distort. I might continue to wait for my biscuit but my God - my heavenly Father - understands. He created me with choice, understands my wanderings, and knows that I will come back to love because He knows my heart.

When Kira was about two and a half people would tell her "You're cute." With fiery eyes and an insulted look she would say: "No! Ki-ki!" Meaning "cute" is not her name, she is Ki-ki. She did the same thing when people told her she looks like her daddy. "No! Ki-ki!" She was her own person, whoever heard of looking like someone else, she was only Kira. We teased her: "Kira, are you cute?" Fire! "No, Kiki!" Her daddy loved that line!

Merlin was at the doctor this week. We are hoping that the recommendations will work for him. We have been on the medical route before and it didn't work. This will take a long time, but the end result looks promising. We also made some diet adjustments which seem to be working well. Spring allergy season is coming to an end, which should also be helpful.

Pray for Merlin's healing, and that our marriage especially could remain strong, and that we can continue to meet Marlea's needs in the way that brings her closer to Jesus.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

5 comments:

  1. A couple weeks ago I found out about your precious little girl that went to be with Jesus. I can only try to imagine how you must feel. We also have a little 3 year old girl and when I told her about a little girl that went to be with Jesus, she right away said "I want to go play with her." Shes been talking alot about heaven and Jesus lately and when I told her that she really wanted to go see Jesus. I think about you often and pray that God could heal your broken heart and that you could rest in Him knowing she truly is in a wonderful place!
    Praying for you and your family!
    Dave and Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marylou,

    Its Debbie again. Sometime in the future you really need to consider writing a book. You have gone through so much and through all of this you view of the Lord seems clearer than any other I have come across. Although I am sure that you not have wanted to be chosen I think the Lord knew you could be trusted with this path. I will be praying for you and Merlin and especially for Marlea this week.

    I would love to come and visit you some time.

    Debbie & (Charlie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We continue to pray for you daily. It was good to visit with you the other week. It is so hard to come into the Inn and feel the absence of Kira Mary. We cannot imagine the void in your lives. We trust God for your comfort and healing. We will pray especially hard for Merlin's healing. We will come again soon to see you. We love you and want you to know if there is anything we can do, please let us know.

    Lillie Mae and Spurge

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for letting us in on this wrestling with God again. You describe it so well. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading your journal and must say that you have been a challendge for me. I have a 2 1/2 year old girl and this sounds so like her. "no me Kayana" That is just her line right now. And trying to put myself in your shoes seems almost impossible and I know that is not something that you chose to do but thanks for the sharing your experience with us. I have shed many tears for you & no I don't know you but as a fellow Christian I am lifting you up in prayer. May Gods grace carry you thru each & every day. Chris Yoder

    ReplyDelete