Monday, June 29, 2009

Sunshine and the Cloud

Sunshine - I feel sunshine again. I see it almost every morning as I stumble out to get the paper. I see it prodding a flower to be real and beautiful. I see it as I look out the window during the day. I feel it in my step, I hear it as I sing while working, and as I speak it to my children. I glance across the street and see our cow who's name ironically is "Sunshine." I taste it as I drink the milk she gives. It feels as if God is encouraging me to be brave and feel the sunshine of life. We teased Kira that her and the cow have the same name. Now, I look back and wonder at God. I feel sunshine as I tramp through the flowerbeds and step on green grass. I gaze in wonder at the sun and it's amazing God-given ability to give life to things that lie dormant and ugly. Amid the sunshine I feel a cloud. A cloud that seems to follow me wherever I go. It follows me to the store, on vacation, and to church. It even follows me to bed in the dark. The cloud has sadness in it. Deep sorrow, pain, and frustration. It contains a wish to live the last several months over and the new plan would magically be full of miracles. It holds the unending mystery of how life would be if Kira would be here right now. Sometimes it feels like the cloud holds the rain that comes out of my eyes and runs unashamedly down my face. The cloud frightens me. I have never lived with an overshadowing cloud. The more that time goes on, the more it seems like this cloud will stay with me for the rest of my life. Reality is that somehow I need to learn to be okay with the cloud. Right now it looks impossible, way too far out of my comfort zone. I never liked clouds; I always chased them away somehow or figured them out so I was okay with them. This cloud is so different, because God is in this cloud too. This cloud is somehow a tie to the healing process that I haven't figured out yet. Maybe it's not for me to even figure out. Maybe with God the cloud is chased to the foot of the cross? Maybe it will happen and I won't even realize it. Maybe the sunshine will make it smaller. But for now, I want the cloud. I also want it to be a redeemed cloud.....

Today I was doing some cleaning in the girls' bedroom. As I moved the nightstand that used to be Kira's something shiny caught my eye. There tucked in between the mattress and box-spring were two quarters. I snickered, remembering all the times she would run off with whatever money she could find. Her piggy bank had an unending appetite. It sometimes got so hungry it would eat all of Marlea's money or the change box pennies. I don't know where the quarters came from that I found today but something tells me they weren't hers!

Pray that we will be able to continue the healing in our lives. It gets almost harder as time goes on and yet the pain continues. I long for a picture of what healing actually is. To experience healing for such deep unending pain is somewhat mysterious to us. "This world is not my home, I am just a passing thru, my treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue..." are words to a song I think of during the day.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

7 comments:

  1. Ah, the pain & pleasure of memories, the 'before & after,' the jolt that comes w/ an unexpected reminder of how life was but now is...I'm glad you feel the sunshine in the middle of the muddle because GOD IS LIGHT! My love - Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time does not heal, but time does reveal God's grace. More and more each day. We lost a 28 year old son to cancer. I know, I know.
    Mary Sue www.Xanga.com/GraceEnuf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing so openly with your feelings... I always read everyone of your updates and feel your pain as best as I can. Praying that you can continue to see God in the midst of your cloud! ~Michelle Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your journey like this. I don't know you, but you inspire me. We recently lost a stillborn daughter, and I find myself nodding in agreement or crying as I read your posts. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mary Sue that time doesn't heal, but I always said "time doesn't heal, but God heals the broken heart". I like how you talked about the cloud, it makes me think of the children of Israel and the cloud over them. It represented God's presence. Yes I kind of agree this cloud will maybe be with us all our life, but I trust (at least still working at it) that my God had a bigger picture or plan in all of it that is still a mystery to me. God always does everything for our good. Thank you God! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do continue to pray for you. Your continuing journey is such an inspiration to me! No, I never lost a child. But the things you're going through and learning are also things I need to learn. May you continue to feel the sunshine and learn how to live with the cloud.
    Sarah Sauder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilu,

    Your posts always make me feel and learn so much. I cry with you and pray for you and Merlin and the girls. I know God is with you all and although I have not experienced your pain, as a sister in Christ, I feel some of it. Please know that my family prays for you daily. May God continue to watch over you all. You are stronger than you realize.
    See you all in August.

    Karissa Brothers

    ReplyDelete