Monday, June 8, 2009

Who Am I?

Who am I? I am a wife and a mother of three girls. Two here and one in heaven. But, really I am not mothering my second-born anymore. When Kira was born I had a fairly big adjustment. With one child I was able to still do some cleaning and managed to keep after the office things fairly well. I could still answer the phone without guests thinking this is also daycare. With two girls, I had to make some changes and couldn't manage everything without more help. As Kira grew I hardly knew how to handle her energy. Also she was up a lot at night, so I was tired. It got to the point where I couldn't sleep anymore. I sought some advice and direction in how to deal with myself. I adapted to her and that worked much better. In doing that, I changed - mostly for the better and learned to live life as it comes instead of thinking I had to have it all figured out. That obviously wasn't working with my unpredictable child. I learned to enjoy her, laugh at her craziness-even join in. In that I became more crazy and carefree myself which was more how I used to be when I was a child. Maybe she reminded me of who I used to be? Now that she is no longer here with us I find myself wondering who I really am. How can I still be that person without her? I loved that person...no sadness, no heartaches, totally carefree. I lived each day at at time - I had learned not to plan tomorrow for tomorrow will plan itself. Now, I laugh - but under it I feel a lump and so much sadness my heart wants to die. I feel like my heart will hurt forever. My carefree attitude seems gone like a vapor, just like Kira. I think of tomorrow and think "Oh no, I will feel the pain tomorrow just like I do today, maybe worse." What do I do with all these lessons life has taught me? They are shaping my life whether or not I like it. Do I let them, or do I rebel and run? Is there any possible way to combine and balance who I am becoming and who I was? But, I don't like this new person...I don't want to be her...I don't want anything to do with her. It's not my choice, not my life, not my day tomorrow. God doesn't mind being patient with me. He will bring beauty out of what seems to be ashes to me. And so I relax in the arms of my heavenly Father. It seems so easy... yet so very, very hard. The amount of pain and confusion that go with it are beyond words. I feel like the Israelites in the Bible who wandered around in the wilderness for forty years looking for the promised land. They had the tabernacle of God with them for direction and it had four corners, just like my Bible does. I could say more about that; just read about it too. The sermon was about the Tabernacle this Sunday at church and it made so much sense to me in ways it never had before. Most of all, I am thankful for God's Word!

Last night at supper, Merlin threatened to eat all the rest of the ice cream. All of a sudden I could hear Kira saying: "Mia(her name for Marlea), Ki-ki eat whole thing!" Marlea would scream in terror and anger and Kira would of course be delighted, with her mission accomplished. I don't remember what all she threatened to eat but I am sure it was something Marlea really liked! I can still see the look on Kira's face...

As you can tell, the pain goes on. Please pray that we will not grow weary, but be strong in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Merlin continues to improve and we are all enjoying our Daddy very much. It's been long! Please pray that his health continues to improve. He has a long way to go, but we praise God for the progress.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea and Anna

14 comments:

  1. thank you Marylu for again being real. I miss you guys so much, It is so good for me to be able to read your posts each week and in a small way be processing along with you.
    my love to Marlea and Anna, Aunt Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marylou,
    I really don't know you, but I have written in your blog before. We were guests of the Inn just a couple of weeks before Kira got sick. I saw them playing outside in what was left of the snow.. beautiful! They waved to us:)
    Your writings are so from your heart, and whether you realize it or not, you are healing... slowly, but definitely healing.
    You may not even want to, but your writings are helping, I do believe!
    Much love and prayers to you and your husband and daughters, Marlea and Anna.
    Linda Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words strike a chord with me. Who am I? That is the definition of me now, searching, lost yet found. Resting in His capable arms and grace yet restless. I am grateful Merlin's health is improving. I miss you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marylu,
    Your writings are so touching and beautiful and honest. I know that you have inspired and blessed so many while opening your heart to all. There is so much of God's love in what you write. That wanting to have life as it once was while knowing that Kira is safe in God's embrace and the struggles that your express so eloquently brings us to your desire to keep us reliant on God's mercy & wisdom.
    You are never far from my thoughts or prayers. I pray for Merlin's healing and ask God to grant you grace and courage and most of all to be comforted by His love.
    God Bless all of you.
    Love,
    Lee & John

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the wilderness of change & pain...somehow & I don't understand the how...God rebuilds for His glory & His exaltation. My love, Esther

    ReplyDelete
  6. love you, friend! i know who you are to me...a friend who cares about me, and what's going on in my life. thanks for that! Immanuel- God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marylu, Merlin, Marlea, Anna,
    You continue to be in our prayers and thoughts. I appreciate your honesty and openness in your writing. It gives those of us reading just a tiny glimpse of what you are experiencing and God is using that for your healing as well as teaching those of us reading. May you experience God's peace, rest, and comfort in a profound and new way today.
    In Christ,
    Kaye and Fred Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marylu,
    I have been so blessed in following this blog. Thank you for sharing from your heart. I love how you have been able to write succinctly about how you're feeling. It's easy to follow where you're at and you're not blaming God. Wow! I've felt from early on that your writings really need to be put into a book but thought maybe it's too soon to suggest that. Then recently someone else dared to bring it up, so I'm here simply echoing what has already been written. I have all confidence that you will seek God's face about this and not run ahead of Him. Again, THANK YOU for sharing from your heart. I'm so sorry about Kira and having never lost a living child, I can only imagine the heartache and sorrow. Thanks so much for all you've taught me by honestly facing your pain. I care. PS I know your parents from my days of growing up at Weavertown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Lu,
    Thank-you for once again allowing God to use you! Your family is still in my prayers...
    -Krista Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lu,
    You, Merlin, and the girls continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.  Glad to hear Merlin's health is improving.  Your writings are so beautiful and inspirational.  We can't imagine the pain you and your family continue to experience.  Hopefully time will help to ease your pain and sorrow some.  We hope to get up to the inn again this summer.  God Bless.
    Nancy & Mike Schiavo

    ReplyDelete
  11. May the journey get easier but also in the hard part may you feel the Everlasting Arms around you. Words are inadequate. We care! Love, Naomi Miller from DE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Marylu! I really needed this advise right now- to just become more like your children :) and adjust to their crazy schedules...even tho they're unpredicable, yet so carefree, and make the most of every ounce of energy they have (which somehow is much more than what i've got!)
    I am so amazed how God is using your deep pain to reach out to many others...
    God is so good
    - Love you guys and Happy anniversary!! :)
    Clayton, Naomi and boys
    hugs n kisses for Marlea and Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for your honesty!! I think bout you guys a lot! Many prayers!! ---Devon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Marylou,
    Whenever I would come into the inn I would feel so close to you. I would tell that you were a "kindred spirit." It was relationship with the Lord that I felt so close too. I could see Jesus in you. May
    God bless you greatly this week! I am praying for you all. So glad Merlin is doing much better.

    Debbie & (Charlie)

    ReplyDelete