Monday, January 4, 2010

In Retrospect on Christmas

My mind reflects back on the past two weeks; we had our little family Christmas two weeks ago. It was intensely painful for all of us. We tried to pretend that gifts could erase the pain...but they couldn't. It was still there and someone was still missing. We were in Ohio with Merlin's family Wednesday until Sunday. On Thursday night Marlea started with the flu bug. I was up most of the night taking care of her and Anna (who couldn't sleep). Christmas day I spent taking care of Marlea who was still suffering from the effects the flu brings. I have to admit - I was angry. Angry at God. Doesn't He realize that I have had enough? Doesn't He get it that I would like to enjoy Christmas to some extent? I had numerous apprehensions about Christmas and what it will be like. They were all dashed and I was alone with Marlea holding the bucket. I tried to sleep but alas, every time I shut my eyes my brain rewarded me with flashbacks and more haunted memories. Fear threatened to overwhelm me again as I tried to make myself believe that this is only the flu and she will be okay. Those thoughts were not helped by Marlea - she was sure she had never felt so bad and thought I should take her to the hospital. She too was having flashbacks and haunted memories in her own way. She was better in the evening and I spent some time with Merlin's extended family.

My mind wanders more - what was the purpose in these events? Why did it have to be on Christmas day Marlea was sick? Does my Father in heaven really know me so well that he thought I wouldn't be able to handle celebrating Christmas, so He made it impossible for me to even remotely feel like I am? I realized on hind sight that it was oddly nice. I spent the day feeling like a zombie walking around on a strange planet. If it was really Christmas...I was fooled. It was the strangest one I have ever experienced. In the end it was an easy way out of trying to act joyful on Christmas day. Instead I felt disconnected from any sort of celebration and even gift giving. So in retrospect maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was at the time. I am reminded again that God is mysterious and I will never understand Him well at all until heaven. I am also reminded that my trust in God can be very shallow; life is not predictable; and the flu is mostly not particular about whom it chooses to infect.

Last year for New Year's Day, Merlin's family was together at a cabin. It was a wonderful cabin with lots of space for little people to get rid of energy. The little girls were greatly entertained by running across the pine floors and sliding. Kira thought it was really fun, especially because she had put lots of miles on her footed pajamas and the feet were fairly smooth. She was so good that weekend. She was in the process of coming out of the twos and becoming more of a little girl.

Thanks for all the cards etcetera we received over Christmas, and most of all the many prayers for us. We appreciate it so much! Soon it will be a year ago that we had Kira for our own.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

5 comments:

  1. Marylu,
    I appreciate your honesty. I will continue to pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Marylu,
    So glad I got to see you the other day and play with Anna. I so enjoyed her. I see in you face still alot of pain but I also saw light. I pray that the light continues to grow. Remember to set your boundries in light of where God would have them not where man expects them.

    With love,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou... I saw this posted on Facebook and wanted to share it with you. I know you will be able to relate and it made me feel such a heaviness for you in my heart. Oh how your mommy-heart must still ache for your baby girl!! Prayers!! ---Devon

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHzZFUMPDY

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so honest and can convey your feelings so well; I am in awe. God has his own way of protecting us, however odd it may seem to us. I think God understands anger directed at him and just takes it in, but never stops caring and looking out for us. Robin and I hold you in our hearts at all times. Peace, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou, thanks for giving us a glimpse of your journey...I just allowed the tears to flow freely as I "walked in your shoes...pain is so real...how do we leave it that it doesn't return...I haven't found that answer yet...Praise God He understands our pain, however severe. We love you and are praying that amid the storms you can see the "silver linings". Blessings, Teresa Stoltzfus

    ReplyDelete