Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Take Me by the Hand

The Bible says "A little child shall lead them." As adults, we tend to make life quite complicated. I love to remember that following Jesus is simple; and that all we need to have is the faith of a little child to comprehend what He has done for us. Marlea took me by the hand today again. Well, maybe I should say - took my heart by the hand. She is in kindergarten at school and has struggled immensely adjusting to the school idea. Ever since last August, she has had a health problem of some kind. First she had poison oak, then hives, and then poison again. In the midst of it she mysteriously started throwing up at unpredictable times. We struggled to figure it out. Finally late last fall after another round of systemic poison, we did numerous tests. As a result, she is on digestive enzymes for her stomach. We had a beautiful reward of a happy little girl again but still there seemed to be shadows. We could make her stomach behave, but we couldn't take away the grief she was experiencing. All along she refused to play at recess with her classmates. She would not be convinced, bribed, or forced. She didn't want to play. Once last summer she told me "I don't want to play with children that are happy". End of discussion. There was no other explanation. A few weeks ago she had a nagging cough and ended up with walking pneumonia. I became quite anxious. What next was going to plague her? It had been one thing after the other for eight months. It was hard enough for me to relax and not try to predict what she would get next. Still, she wouldn't play at recess. A few more weeks have gone by; the sun is out again and it has been a year since her playmate left her. The last few times she was at school seemed much easier for her. We gave her a challenge. Get up ten school mornings in a row without being dragged out of bed and you will get a pink alarm clock (it's always better with "pink" in front of it.) Now she is jumping out of bed. The last few times her dresses were a bit more dirty and I was suspicious she is playing games with the other children. Today was the ultimate. She was so excited. They played kickball and she was playing! She was right out with it. I looked at her in astonishment and said "You mean you were playing a game?" She freely admitted to it. I shed a tear and thanked God for the gift of healing. And so I feel led by the hand. If it's okay for Marlea to play games again...it feels like God is calling me too to be okay with healing. I've tried to stuff it because it makes it seem so long ago that I held Kira, touched her, cared for her. To heal means to move on. It means time has taken place and life is beginning to feel okay again. It means emerging from feeling needy and being able to give again. Healing means embracing the Cross and the joy that takes place in our lives when we surrender our will to God's.

Anna is hitting the two year old realm. Somehow our girls have all had a terrible habit of talking out loud in church. Anna is a pro at it her speech is very well refined for a two year old. On Sunday at church I was busy. It felt good again. I will never forget the embarrassment and humbling Kira put me through in church. We sit segregated and I could hear exactly what she was saying from wherever she sat with Merlin. If she couldn't say it she just settled it with a loud scream that made lots of heads turn. The feeling of "wow, who's child it that?" type of thing. I can't say I care to repeat those scenarios but I am thankful for the humility it brought to my life!

Pray that we would have the courage to embrace the healing God is bringing us.

Marylu and Merlin, Marlea, Anna

8 comments:

  1. Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that God will continue His work of healing in your hearts. He is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thankful for Marlea, grief can leave physical scars as well as emotionaly, how hard it must be for her to cope and to see the other children so care free, and then the beauty of her giving in to Gods will, and being happy once again. You are a special family and dear to our hearts. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children show us the way, when we feel so lost! They feel what we feel and are so intuitive to our feelings.
    God Bless Marlea, and I am so happy she is able to play again.
    I pray the same for you and your family.
    Never to forget, but to be able to 'play'!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Embracing healing...hmmmm....what a concept! I have not really thought about it that way. By not embracing we are denying God what he wants to do for us. I am so happy you all are embracing. I am learning. As for Marlea, I understand the lack of play. It's just not the same without "the one." But I am so proud that she is, once again, getting dirty. I hope to be back soon, and get dirty with her and Anna.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  6. well-written. and I could feel it with you. thankyou for sharing your heart again!! I'm blessed.

    praying..marlena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your storie was soooo touching, it has touched a part of me I haven't wanted to ever open again . Sadly enough Ive blocked the pain and choose to not to go there. I will probley delete this?!? You really should write a book ! alot of your feelings were mutual cept I haven't written them down hoping and praying the pain of greive might go away and the circle would somehow become a strait line again. Lord somedays it would be easier to

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another moving post! Holding you and the family up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete